Does anybody send from a keyboard and read by ear.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by 2E0LPL, Apr 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just something I was thinking about.

I haven't learnt to use Morse yet but I do intend to give it my best shot when I have the time to dedicate to it.

Nick.

K1LKP likes this.
  2. W2OZB

W2OZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, ,many of the QRQ guys do it. I have found when learning CW, its easier to send than head copy up to around 30-35wpm. At that point, sending becomes more difficult it seems. Most QRQ guys who are at 50wpm + tend to go to a keyboard (though guys like Consoli seem to have no problem at 60wpm).

And to make matter more interesting, QRQ guys seem (as far I have found), to favor a different Keyboard, not QWERTY. However they still use the best computer for copy, the one between your ears.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I read by eye.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

N7BKV likes this.
  4. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom the K44 I have is a reader but very poor...what do you use.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tom's just pulling your leg. He does that. :)

Dave
    W7UUU

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Once in a while I'll send using a Heathkit HD-8999 "Ultra Pro Keyboard Keyer" just for fun.

But I much prefer a keyer - I can send up to 42 WPM during contests before my fingers just can't manage any faster.

I copy 99% "in my head" - for basic exchange contests I copy up to 40 WPM; for more complicated exchange contests 30 WPM; ragchew at 25.

Dave
    W7UUU

W9RAC and N7BKV like this.
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Right, I don't know what a K44 iz.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. W2OZB

W2OZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nick,

I highly recommend you not use a reader if you want to learn cw.

N7KO, N7BKV, N4UP and 1 other person like this.
  9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

ALL Morse readers perform poorly. They only do well when signals are strong, and the Morse is machine sent. My Kantronics used to do a great job on WLO when it was banging in, but never worked worth a damn for much else. That was almost thirty years ago now, and not much has changed.

Fading, or imperfectly formed characters, confuse Morse readers. That's because humans copying Morse can extrapolate the meaning of the missing elements/characters from context, something that requires a level of ability that currently available artificial intelligences can't provide.

In other words, CW is yet another job people actually do better than computers. There's lots of little jobs like that. Computers haven't taken over so many mundane jobs because they do a better job than people; generally they don't. But they are cheaper than people and that's all that counts in the current corporate climate.

As for the original question, using a keyboard and copying "by ear" is how most (I would say almost all) QSOs at over 40 WPM take place. Not a lot of people left who can still send at 50 WPM using a bug or keyer. Many have passed, many more have learned that its something much more easily done when you are twenty-five and there's a war on than when you are nearing the end of life and your reflexes have slowed down.

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like this comment a million times over if I could.

N7KO, N2AMM, N3FZ and 2 others like this.