Dodge Grand Caravan powering question

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by 2E0GOM, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. 2E0GOM

2E0GOM Ham Member QRZ Page

hey all.

i've just recently purchased a used ('99) dodge grand caravan.

I was thinking about putting the radios in the jack compartment in the rear.

my question is: right next to the compartment, there's a cigarette lighter style socket that says it's good for 20 amps.

I do not beleive that for one second looking at the size of the wire that's attached to it and I wouldnt think of running a rig directly off that.

as a temporary measure until i can get some large size cable to run directly from the battery, can I use this to provide a 12 volt supply to a gel cell agm better and run the rigs via that?

would that work? my future plans would be to run large gauge wire direct from the battery compartment to the rear to run a secondary battery or two :p but in the mean time for a normal mobile rig (ic706mk2G) would that work as a temporary measure?

charlie:confused:

2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go with your gut, although those are designed to run those mini compressors for blowing up air mattresses when camping. Also they are for running DVD players etc.

3. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Go to my web site, and bring up the Wiring article. Your answer is there!

4. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a bit off your actual topic, but the discussion of safe wiring reminds me: I have a small fire extinguisher in every car. I bought one for my wife's car 20 years ago and actually needed it a few months after buying it. I was darned glad to have it, and I've made sure there was an extinguisher in every car we've had since then. They aren't expensive, and if you ever need one, you'll be VERY glad you had it. :)

5. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it is not off the subject in my opinion. I too have an on-board extinguisher. It makes me wonder, however, why the NHTSA didn't put their rule into effect which required makers to supply them as standard equipment?

6. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a large economy-sized can of worms, there. :) I suppose the car manufacturers objected on the basis of extra cost.

I make sure I've got one in each car, and one in the kitchen, all the time. Cost is practically nothing over the life of the extinguisher--unless you actually USE it, in which case, the replacement cost is the last thing you're going to be worried about. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.