Do You Use Pre-Recorded CW?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KE8EAS, Mar 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE8EAS

KE8EAS Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently purchased an Kenwood TS-480SAT which includes 3 recording buttons for CW. This has changed the game for DX and contesting for me! Current setup is:

Channel 1: Call CQ
    Channel 2: My Call Sign
    Channel 3: 599 TU

This seems to fit my needs. Does anyone else use a recorder? If so, do you go full automatic (using a keyboard or similar) or just use it for calling CQ, etc.?

2. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

yes. memory keyers are wonderful devices.

I only use memory for common exchanges and/or CQ - - I manually send any additional info. I dont use any terminal type sending tools

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also like memory keyers, which do not "record" or "playback" recorded CW. They "generate" CW. I use a terminal program to load the memories. I use the MFJ-495 memory keyer for simple things, like a DX or contest exchange. And like AA8AO, I manually send everything else ( using my Vibroplex Keyer ). The only problem with my memory keyers are "sticky" buttons. I need to figure out how to clean them. Or find a suitable memory keyer that works better than the MFJ-495.

4. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I'm a contester, computer-generated Morse code is about all I know. When you're trying to snag DX, this is the prime time to get the required information through as quickly as possible because the DX wants to maximize the number contacts in a given period of time without listening to somebody stumble around. If you're very proficient sending the exchange with your paddles or bug, then no problem. But I'm not ashamed to admit that I cannot do that.

5. KE8EAS

It is embarrassing to fumble around when trying to quickly exchange info with a dx station with others in line to contact them too. And, frequently at a speed quicker than a normal qso. I'd rather stick to my recorded call sign instead of looking silly haha.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Same as what the others have said - for contesting, yes - I use an MFJ-464 most of the time.

For normal QSO purposes, I don't use a memory keyer.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My contest logging program (WriteLog, link) has several programmable memories. I can send "canned" messages but, it does much more. I can send an incremented serial number that some contests require. That is done with the %N variable. When I'm running a frequency, when more than one station replies to my CQ, I want to send the other station's callsign using the %C variable. If the station is a duplicate contact, my logging program can send a "dupe" message. This is done using a single programmed Function key. Other Function keys are programmed for other purposes. There's a very active email reflector for support.

But, there's more. Sometimes, the station asks me for something for which I don't have a programmed Function key. Then, I need to manually send it. In days of olde, the PC and keyer were not linked, and they could be set to wildly different speeds. In the past few years, Steve K1EL devised a keyer (WinKeyer USB, link) that interfaces w/ the PC via a USB port, and communicates with the logging program. If I change the speed on the keyer or logging program, the other follows.

But, there's even more. WinKeyer USB can drive TWO rigs separately, for SO2R (Single Operator 2 Radio) contesting. And, each rig's PTT line is also driven. You don't have to fuss with your rig's VOX settings, because it's not needed. On it's own, WinKeyer USB is an excellent memory keyer, with ALL parameters settable via keyer paddle, or the supplied PC software. There's a very active support group.

WriteLog + WinKeyer USB also work together for fone contesting.

vy 73 es gl,
    Bryan WA7PRC

KE8EAS likes this.
  8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't send any recorded CW and use a bug when I don't want to work anyone who is faking it. I lost interest in contests years ago when operators quit sending real signal reports and started giving everyone 599 even if they are piss weak. Actually I have heard lately that contest operators don't like it if you give them a real and meaningful signal report. The original point of 1930s contests is now lost and ignored but contests live on and multiply, living a zombie-like existence in which operators tell everyone the exact same thing, making the most trivial use of spectrum imaginable.

K5VZD and KE8EAS like this.
  9. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't use pre-recorded CW, I do however use a memory keyer, and a program which will generate CW from text most of the time. I want to send as clean a CW signal as possible, so I use my hand keyer very little anymore. Lots of Macros, and when I need to, I use the paddles.

10. KE8EAS

I'm with you on that. A real signal report just slows everything down. 599 = more speed = more contacts. I am of the opinion (as a lot of people likely are) that contest signal reports should be eliminated.

The best alternative to get stations to exchange meaningful information would be either Name, State, or Sequential Numbers.