ad: w5yi

Do you use full break-in (QSK), semi-QSK, or no QSK?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Mar 16, 2016.

?

In CW CQ and QSO, do you mostly use full break in (QSK), semi-QSK or no break-in (TX only)

Poll closed Jun 16, 2016.
  1. I almost always use full QSK (I can hear between characters)

58.2%
  2. I almost always use semi-QSK (I can hear between words)

18.2%
  3. I don't use QSK, I can't hear between words, only after a longer pause or on switching to RX

23.6%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I love my FT-950 except the QSK relay chatter is very irritating. I use semi-QSK most of the time now.

VK5EEE likes this.
  2. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I never use QSK. I use sending time as a break for my ears/brain. The monitor is very low, it's my quiet time.

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. KC1FDG

KC1FDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I first learned cw using morsecode.me a straight key chat room. One of the worst features of morsecode.me is there is NO break when you key down, so when multiple people are mashing their key it all mixes together in a cacophony of sidetone all ranging from 300hz to 1100hz. It's enough to make any cw operator cry, but the guy who wrote the software doesn't know any better, and neither do the people who use it.

The benefit to me is full QSK is no problem at all. Receiver noise is pleasant in comparison to the racket I had to send through on morsecode.me

4. WB2VVV

WB2VVV Ham Member QRZ Page

For me it totally depends on the needs of the communication link, and possibly even my equipment preference for the day. Sure I love full QSK with my Ten Tec Rig and modest power Ten Tec Centaur Amp. The Ten Tec QSK works nicely and as many have said it can be more conversational when the other station is also full QSK - though many times the other station isn't full QSK so it's moot that I am. However, that's a modest output power Ten Tec Rig/Amp, and in the event I need a higher power Rig/Amp to get through a tougher communication link then my higher power gear is just not going to be full QSK. There are also times I like the pleasure/challenge of operating true antique equipment which involves separate transmitters, receivers and an external manual T/R switch, and that's not going to even be semi QSK.

I had an older ham friend now SK who was quite the big gun, and he used to laugh at full QSK - saying: "No one speaks when I'm speaking!" though that tone did kind of underscore a part of his unique personality - which I do truly miss and hope he is QRV on the other side.