Do you use full break-in (QSK), semi-QSK, or no QSK?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Mar 16, 2016.

?

In CW CQ and QSO, do you mostly use full break in (QSK), semi-QSK or no break-in (TX only)

Poll closed Jun 16, 2016.
  1. I almost always use full QSK (I can hear between characters)

58.2%
  2. I almost always use semi-QSK (I can hear between words)

18.2%
  3. I don't use QSK, I can't hear between words, only after a longer pause or on switching to RX

23.6%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use QSK with a 50mS delay on the KX3 to minimise relay chatter in the outboard P.A I have. Its handy to hear the alligators whom like to start calling or tuneing over my in progress qso.

So can get ready to adjust filters, RIT, that way can continue my contact with hopefully as little annoyance as possible.

WA7PRC and VK5EEE like this.
  2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never. Break in ? You talk I listen. I talk you listen.

KG7ZXA and VK5EEE like this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was running my Omni D, I used full QSK. Ten-Tec really had QSK down right.

However, I don't like the QSK in my Icom 718, so I use a foot switch now. I take my foot off the switch whenever I pause; it works almost as well as QSK for conversational purposes.

VK5EEE likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was running my TS520, I could set my VOX delay for nearly full QSK but the klickety klack of the relays was very distracting and I didn't want to wear them out !! so I cranked the delay back up to somewhat less than semi break-in speed. A second of two pause..... and I could hear the frequency and make sure there was no QRM.

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the way we did it. I never used the "AA", just touch the key & the sending operator knew to repeat the last correctly sent word. :) Of course it was always full QSK, because we were operating "duplex".

I worked the "grave-yard" shift (2200-0600 LT / 0400-1200Z) as the only CW operator during that shift, it sure was fun to be "keying" fifteen 5kw Harris xmtrs at once , from MF up to 25mhz. !! I sure do miss those days.

nw nil
    dit dit

Steve / W5BIB (high-seas CW operator for coast station WLO 1988-1995)

VK5EEE likes this.
  6. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked WLO a few times but I was at sea 1975-1985 so it wasn't you I worked :)

VK5EEE likes this.
  7. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a QSK chat QSO around 25-30WPM... at first a slow speed CW Net, then 2 of us hang around for a QRQ-ish QSK chat, then I swap to bug... here you can hear electronic keyer, straight key (when I send a web URL slowly) and bug keying. Not everyone is patient to listen to QRS, and also enjoy QRQ, and listening to bug CW, but the OP is a former marine radio operator at VIS and I did a stint at sea too ;-) in this chat the fun with QSK is evident, but it does help to have a partner that you are accustomed to and so can find a little more to talk about. Having 3 keys wired in paralell (electronic, pump and bug) makes for easy swapping for various speeds and moods. Thanks to OE3KAB for the recording:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42099314/websdr_recording_2016-03-15T09_04_59Z_7051.2kHz.wav

8. M0PHE

Never worked VIS. Worked VIP and VIM a lot as we were running reefer mutton up from Geelong and Perth to Sharjah and Iran.

VK5EEE likes this.
  9. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you work VIA? It was VIA that first introduced me to CW around 1970.

10. M0PHE

No - just VIP and VIM. Never had any cause to work anybody but those two given the ports we called at.

VK5EEE likes this.