Do You Unplug For Lightning Storms ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Nov 13, 2019.

?

What (if anything) do you unplug for Lightning Storms ?

1. Disconnect feed lines outside - Explain details in Reply

2. Disconnect feed lines indoors - Explain details in Reply

3. Unplug radio/power supply power cords

4. Disconnect shack ground

5. I don't disconnect anything - I trust my lightning protection system

6. I don't disconnect anything - If lightning is going to get me it doesn't matter what I do

7. I don't get lightning here

8. Unplug computer and disconnect from radio gear

9. Other - Explain in Reply

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course we NEVER disconnect anything on our public safety 800 Mhz trunking system. Funny thing is, when we do get lightning damage, it is not the RF equipment connected to the antenna system. It is always the network equipment connected to the fiber network. I suspect it is coming in, on the fiber grounds, or other Telco lines coming into the site building.

2. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have THREE patch panels with 18 SO-239s. Anything can connect / disconnect anywhere.

3. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

R56.

4. AJ4UY

AJ4UY Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AJ4UY

AJ4UY Ham Member QRZ Page

6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

OTHER!

I disconnect my feed lines at the window 'bulkhead' when I'm not on the air.
    W4AQL Ga Tech radio club is set up the same way and has tribander and 40 m yagi on towers on top of the EE building.

At my house, cast iron vents, galvanized vents, electric utility service entrance, and internet cable would worry me more than my disconnected antennas! If they worried me at all.

I'll add that my homeowners insurance deductible is quite high. It keeps the rates low and no stress dealing with minor mishaps. Overall, it's saved me a lot more $ than spent on minor mishaps. I do the same with my cars. High deductible until self insurance makes more sense. Then liability only. It's also saved me a LOT of money over the years.

73, -Bob ah7i

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    N0NC likes this.
  7. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Other: I take my antenna down. I've been using temporary antennas that I can put up just when I'm playing radio, just to avoid clutter in the backyard. Right now I'm toying with a rotatable dipole made of MFJ 16' whips, raised on a carbon fiber telescoping mast. It takes about 5-10 minutes to extend it and raise it, and when I'm not operating I'll either put it away, or at least I take a moment to lower it to 10'. If there's stormy weather it goes right back in the garage.

8. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned this lesson the hard way. After years of disconnecting everything on my radio before a storm when home. And when away, ( long haul trucker recently retired) I forgot to disconnect my rig while out on the road. Sure enough, thunderstorm came thru and a lightning strike nearby, took out the PA section of my Flex 6600M.
    $350 later, and just over a week, I was back in business.
    Great customer service. Years before that, had a similar situation happen. But, lost a lot more electronics. Very expensive.
    James
    WD5GWY

9. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Disconnect everything. NEC is a great standard. But I live on a rock. Been struck twice. Zero damage to radio gear disconnected. Consumer electronics was toast. Most utility installed NEC grounds are not up to spec. Sharp bends is a no no. Sure looks nice!
    Commercial systems are designed to take direct strikes and survive. But wireless companies spend a lot of money on ground grid systems.

10. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was taught that unplugging in anticipation was not a reliable method.

N0TZU likes this.