Do You Unplug For Lightning Storms ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Nov 13, 2019.

?

What (if anything) do you unplug for Lightning Storms ?

1. Disconnect feed lines outside - Explain details in Reply

2. Disconnect feed lines indoors - Explain details in Reply

3. Unplug radio/power supply power cords

4. Disconnect shack ground

5. I don't disconnect anything - I trust my lightning protection system

6. I don't disconnect anything - If lightning is going to get me it doesn't matter what I do

7. I don't get lightning here

8. Unplug computer and disconnect from radio gear

9. Other - Explain in Reply

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a permanent antenna hung yet so I take down and wind up my antennas when I'm not using them and everything in the shack is on surge protectors that are switched off when I'm not using them. I haven't had a problem yet other than not being able to operate much this time of year.

2. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

As a bench engineer I repaired a Goodmans stereo unit that had been struck.... how I don't know, be it TV or if it was connected to a VHF FM antenna..... that devil worked after all the copper ground tracking on the circuit board was cleaned and linked - only the power switch needed a change, no transistor change er nothing else!

I thought it'd be a write off - how wrong I was.... and that found the mains socket and blackened the surrounding wall paper area.

Dave

3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

nice stereos, your outlet voltage is 240V if memory serves me. That would have been a pretty good zap at the mains socket and left a mark.
    When I moved here the hydro was so poor a sneeze would put it out. We constantly lost radios, clocks, phones. Now, everything electronic here has a APC UPS. Been lucky, power outtages here are mainly due to road accidents, or poor maintenance.
    We have a HV line a couple km's north and it constantly gets hit almost everytime a storm goes through, luckily it serves another area