ad: chuckmartin

Do You Unplug For Lightning Storms ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Nov 13, 2019.

?

What (if anything) do you unplug for Lightning Storms ?

1. Disconnect feed lines outside - Explain details in Reply

2. Disconnect feed lines indoors - Explain details in Reply

3. Unplug radio/power supply power cords

4. Disconnect shack ground

5. I don't disconnect anything - I trust my lightning protection system

6. I don't disconnect anything - If lightning is going to get me it doesn't matter what I do

7. I don't get lightning here

8. Unplug computer and disconnect from radio gear

9. Other - Explain in Reply

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

yes when I bought the house the 60A service was upgraded to 100A. Panel was done at that time by a licensed electrician.

While trying to find the CEC online I came across the Ontario electric code. What I saw on their site was a table of what is allowed for non-certified electricians to do, what a home owner can do and what needs inspection. This appears to have changed in the last few years and of course almost everything is locked down to needing inspection.
    So it appears I'll have to get an electric firm here for the panel/service grounding, hopefully they have had some experience with lightning & grounding.
    Need have to find a firm that I can trust their work or knowledge and that it coincides with what's on here and ARRL.
    This is simple to understand and install but the complication is with the regulations and the panel

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good plan. When in doubt hire a pro.

If you haven't already, I suggest you review the "Grounding Do's and Don'ts" series of sticky threads on QRZ (three in total). There is a lot of good information there even if it does come with a bit of "attitude" from time to time. There is also the recent ARRL book on grounding.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    KV6O likes this.
  3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Put on a flak jacket when reading those threads. :confused: :p

4. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I read that and it actually scared me a bit because ARRL actually tells a ham to not comply with electrical codes. Not in those words mind you, but what they tell hams to do does not comply with electrical codes or even best practice.

K0UO likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Such as?

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an Alpha Delta CO-AX switch for each antenna to disconnect from radio and ground the antenna.
    I do this to avoid voltage discharges but do not expect this to prevent damage from a large lightning strike.
    I maintain that there is a huge difference between a voltage discharge and a lightning stroke. Yes they are the same thing but they vary in intensity. I also believe smaller voltage discharges are confused with lightning strokes. They both can do damage....but again there is a difference in intensity.

7. VE3CGA

heres a question - a bit off topic.
    On one of my many internet searches I came across a site that showed workers installing a large braided ground on one of the new metal roofs that are all the rage around here. It wasnt a complete picture but looked like it was on a 2 story house

What happens if a metal roof is hit, wheres the blast go
    I've never seen any bonding done on them, barns usually have quite a bit

8. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I unplug the LM400 and ground it

9. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My home and barn both have metal roofs. Both have lightning protection systems with air terminals on the roof peaks. House has 4 terminals, barn has three. House terminals are connected by heavy gauge braided copper which is grounded at opposite corners of the house. Barn is the same.

Where does the roof hit go in an unprotected house? Generally through the wood framing of the house, as it's exploding timbers and burning everything along the way.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. VE3CGA

thanks, kinda what I thought. On the almost dozen metal roofs installed in our neighbourhood, I've never seen any evidence of grounding when install was happening. Mainly 60's style bungalows with big maples fairly close to the houses or old tv towers in a few cases