ad: AbAuRe-1

Do You Repair Your Own Equipment?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KK4NSF, Jul 2, 2020.

?

Do you repair your own equipment?

1. Yes.... I fix my own radios and accessories.

2. yes and no. I fix stuff like antenna tuners, connectors and speakers... but not my radios

3. mostly no. I send most of my repair jobs to a service tech or back to the factory

4. No. While I am very smart, I let the experts do it for me.

5. No... not ever. If I try to fix it, it may never work again.

6. None of the above- see my answer below

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Working on old gear is the biggest part of the hobby for me. I enjoy my bench time. Finishing my workshop was part of my bucket list after my retirement. I've done a lot of homebrewing in the past, these days I enjoy working on my boat anchors, vintage radios and various other projects. I can still muscle the BW-5100 transmitter and the other heavy beasts between the operating positions and the workbench when I have too. I will rue the day when I can't do this work due lack of strength or poorer eyesight.
    CIMG1276.JPG CIMG1277.JPG CIMG1278.JPG

KA9JLM, N0TZU, KD0CAC and 2 others like this.
  2. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I answered #1 because I'll have a go at almost anything. Success? I doubt I'm as efficient or successful as a 'professional'. But hey, I'm a ham with no formal schooling in electronics. I draw the line at programmed parts and BGAs. No BGAs. A hex on BGAs. Unless someone wants to upgrade my tool kit.

73, -Bob ah7i

3. N9TWD

N9TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I put pl-259's on coax. I'm mostly plug & play. I have a problem right now. I just purchased an Alinco DR-235mk3 220 mhz radio. It works great, except I can't move my channel setups from vfo to memory. If I want to program something, I can move my settings from vfo to the call channel, but not to the main memory. I'm manually programming this radio, because my Chromebook does not support the programming software. Has anyone else run into a problem like this?

4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is smacking something in an effort to get it to work again considered repairing? I'm asking for a friend.

PU2OZT and N0TZU like this.
  5. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Attempting to use some type of vibration to look for bad connections is commonly used .
    Also wiggling vacuum tubes to check for a few things like dirty sockets .

The smacking is probably when really big old tube type TV's that were so big & heavy - that a smack was a very slight vibration ;)

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

But it is one good test to do. :)

PU2OZT and K2CD like this.
  7. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This still cracks me up. First saw it as a kid.

8. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

I do when I can. Sent in an Icom IC-7000 because it was new, and sent in an ALS-1306 because the FETs had to be matched. Everything else gets brought down to work for bench repair.