Do You Repair Your Own Equipment?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KK4NSF, Jul 2, 2020.

?

Do you repair your own equipment?

1. Yes.... I fix my own radios and accessories.

2. yes and no. I fix stuff like antenna tuners, connectors and speakers... but not my radios

3. mostly no. I send most of my repair jobs to a service tech or back to the factory

4. No. While I am very smart, I let the experts do it for me.

5. No... not ever. If I try to fix it, it may never work again.

6. None of the above- see my answer below

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do what I can with what I have but as others said no SMT or tiny parts. I have replaced amplifier tubes and burnt components. The usual
    audio stuff. I used to replace transistors in receivers and HiFi amps and such when such parts were available. When I was a computer Field
    Engineer for IBM we would mostly swap circuit boards - the hands on work was power supplies, servos, motors, printer components and mechanical
    items.

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do the easy repairs. My neighbor is one of the authorized Icom repair centers. With him around, it doesn't make sense to spend much time on repairs.

KL7KN likes this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI QRZ FRIENDS,

BACK IN THE DAY WHEN I HAD A GLOBE CHIEF 90 A , NC 188 , DRAKE TR4 I DID MY OWN REPAIRS.

ONCE I UPGRADED TO THE WORLD OF THE FT 920 I KNEW THAT THE WORLD OF SMT TECHNOLOGY
    REQURIED TALENTS THAT I DID NOT POSSESS.

THE FIRST RULE OF TROUBLESHOOTING IS NOT
    TO COMPOUND YOUR PROBLEMS.

THE DAYS OF ME REPAIRING MY EQUIPMENT IS ALL DONE........... ALL GONE..........

THERE ARE A LOT OF FOLKS WHO TAKE ON THE SMT STUFF AND I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO THEM.

OH YES....... I RECENTLY REPAIRED MY PALSTAR AT2K TUNER.........

PURCHASED THE SPECIAL GREASE FROM THE PALSTAR FOLKS AND FOLLOWED THEIR
    DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS......... BRAVO.......

THE PALSTAR IS ABOUT 10 YRS OLD AND TO BE TRUTHFUL, I HAVE BEEN MILKING OUT THIS
    REPAIR. ......WITH THEIR INSTRUCTIONS, IT WAS ALL "SESAME STREET" ...... HIHIHI.......

73 ES ENJOY YOUR EQUIPMENT

K1LKP

JUST AN OLE CW RASCAL

WN1MB likes this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

With the wide use of SMD parts and the required specialized tools, many of the new radios should have a "NO User Serviceable Parts Inside" label. And it isn't just SMD part size, the density of parts is also a real factor.

The G1M -
    [​IMG]
    fairly roomy so to speak. Many might want to take a crack at it.

The Sw-3B, also quite 'open'
    [​IMG]

But with high density, stacked boards with multiple ribbon cables, most throw in the towel
    [​IMG]

beyond the boards - there is the problem with custom chips sets and PIC controllers with code no one has access to.

When I was working on the MFJ-9200 (HS-1A) radio manual, I found the PIC controller chip could be purchased from two different US vendors. Without the code, it was worthless.

So without the code or with obsolete chips, you have a nice doorstop.

This isn't like the days of the HW-7/HW-8 where the parts could be substituted with little impact on the rigs operation.

5. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've deliberately built my station taking into consideration my operating mode preference, power level, portability, cost, and repairability. What I ended up with is a small corral of HW-8s, a homebrew TX/RX, homebrew ATU, and a variety of analog and digital test gear.

It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but it serves my needs, and provides much enjoyment.

N7BDY, N1OOQ, US7IGN and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what a toaster says.

You can normally fix it just using a Butter Knife. :rolleyes: At least once.

KL7KN likes this.
  7. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm a butter knife repair on a toaster...that sounds potential for no need for the toaster to work after inserting the knife... o_O.

As with the example post above of differing boards and the 'modern flexi-cellophane' connecting strips. I regrettably have to resign myself to the following;

1. Research and buy the best you can get, that includes considering build quality.

2. Be prepared to sacrifice some 'nice to have' features for solid functionality.

3. Don't expect aftersales service that is capable these days or cost effective.

4. If it dies, and it isn't simple then don't dump it on anybody by selling on.

8. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

lucky for us most parts dont break anymore. who could do part level troubleshooting with literaly thousands of caps and resistors, hundreds of transistors and diodes in most rigs today,not to mention giant ic's that we cant cope with,dozens of small ic's that are a bch to test or replace. no , ill pull the covers and look but wont try to go much more.
    btw yrs ago i would have died for an r 390. today not wanted as a gift.! but i did just buy a drake 2 b just to see tubes lite up at night...! have you seen the bottom of that chassis? !

9. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a serious TOOL-JONES as long as my memory , about 5 yrs. old I took my uncles watch apart [ not claiming I got it back together ;)
    My 1st trade was a union carpenter , got injured out about 1985 , 1st machining /welding classes in 8th grade 1969 .
    After injuring out of construction , I do what I called " Hobby for a living " - that is many hobbies and I looked at the costs in all and said I can build that .

Racing - build mud & pull truck , competitive shooting - gunsmithing , treasure hunting - gold mining & equipment , ham radio - electronics repair --- can't afford to buy new , so I get a TWO-FER , or THREE-FER , find cheap or free , if I do not have the tools or skill to repair what I end up with , I teach myself / from others , Lots of YouTube videos , not fond of the word best but maybe one of the top is SignalPathBlog , Allan W2AEW - hopefully got your name correct ?
    Just to name a couple , of the over 280 subscriptions on my YouTube watching channel .

Relative to fixing your own gear , I have about [ new replacement , not what I paid ] 3-4 grand in soldering / desoldering gear , including stereo microscope - for them invisible parts & repair --- watched some videos on repairing iPhones , repairing traces that were one to two layers down from what is called long-screw-damage .
    So while accumulating electronics , ham stuff , cell phone & computers - I practice on the stuff I do not value - to develop the skills to do the micro-soldering repair .
    So I am always lusting after any kind of diagnostic & repair gear ------ DAM TOOL JONES ;)

So buy cheap , learn to fix , then operate , and have all this cool stuff to play with ;) --- four-fer .

Forgot tower work , just took down a 50' aluminum with 8 antennas mounted , volunteered for club - we clean up silent-key estates , keep costs like renting halls etc. and then send the bulk over 90% to ARRL defense league , SPRC - St. Paul Radio Club .

Still climbing at 67 , just need a day or two between tower jobs ;(

If it ain't fun , I do not do it anymore .

WN1MB likes this.
  10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only fix my own stuff, but I'm pretty good at breaking it...

:)

Rege

KD0CAC likes this.