Do You Repair Your Own Equipment?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KK4NSF, Jul 2, 2020.

?

Do you repair your own equipment?

1. Yes.... I fix my own radios and accessories.

2. yes and no. I fix stuff like antenna tuners, connectors and speakers... but not my radios

3. mostly no. I send most of my repair jobs to a service tech or back to the factory

4. No. While I am very smart, I let the experts do it for me.

5. No... not ever. If I try to fix it, it may never work again.

6. None of the above- see my answer below

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a bit funny. But true.

When I worked in a electronics repair shop I would charge more if someone already tried to repair it.

Other local electronic shops had a bad habit of bringing things to me that they could not repair. They just past the extra cost on to their customer.

I repair all of my stuff. And Void the warranty on new stuff that I buy ASAP. :)

KL7KN and KK4NSF like this.
  2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no tools for surface mount, but everything through hole I will repair if there are parts.
    Much rather build accessories around my IC9100 and hope it doesnt blow up for a few years if I treat it nice
    Last rig fixed was my ole IC751A, before that my FT757G
    Fix everything around the house, and cars as well
    I can also put holes in walls and walls in holes

KK4NSF and AC0GT like this.
  3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

But was the operation a success? ;)

N2HUN likes this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

All.... thanks for your responses so far. It looks like most of us do at least some of our own repairs.... as Capt UUU said "I fix the stuff within my skill set". Personally I like working on my own radio, but then again I don't have any radios with tiny surface-mounted components.

PU2OZT likes this.
  5. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto Dave, W7UUU:

I fix the stuff within my skill set.

I've been fortunate that in 43 years of hamming, I've had only one or two instances of a "major" piece of equipment (e.g. a "modern day" transceiver) require repair.
    Those were put in the hands of someone with the skills and equipment required that I didn't have.
    Repairs to and construction of (home-brewing) "minor" items --such as accessories-- for which I've had the skills and equipment required I've done myself.

;)

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

The support question said use 'None' if the answers don't fit.

Well, I make up bits and fix what I can. I don't profess to being an expert in electronics and therefore seek help where neccessary. Trouble is most places seem to want to say 'no we don't do that stuff' so anything old and you are stuffed.

7. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why I do not buy radio I can't fix myself...
    Ham radio is old thing which best fit with old rig...

N2HUN likes this.
  8. K3CDY

K3CDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently broke the rotary encoder shaft on my Yaesu FT3D HT, and was pleasantly surprised that it is very repairable. Until I found an excellent tear down video on YouTube, I was dreading a $250 repair, but ultimately ordered the replacement encoder for $4.25. Bottom line, it’s always worth a look before resorting to the repair center.

N2HUN likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Of course - but that's what I meant about "outside of the very basics" - I know my skill level and my skill limits. I can usually tell in the first round of "what the heck happened?" if it's in my abilities to do.

What I REALLY hate is when I fix one problem, but by being all ham-fisted (no pun intended) I break something else - that's much harder to fix!

Dave
    W7UUU

K3CDY likes this.
  10. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, I'll open 'er up and take a swing at it.
    If I find burned traces, or an obviously smoked component, I will try to identify and replace it.
    Was quick and easy to solder in a new pair of RD70HVF finals when the Icom 7300 quit working....
    If it gets real tiny, or complicated: ie microprocessor, etc I'd give up...