Do you really care if someone writes HAM instead of ham?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KK4NSF, Jun 14, 2020.

?

Do you really care if a person writes "HAM" instead of "ham"?

1. I don't care at all. It's all good to me.

50.6%
  2. I know it's technically incorrect, but see it as a small point.

22.1%
  3. I do care, but tend to let it slide

14.9%
  4. I care about it... and think it's my duty to correct folks whenever they do it.

7.1%
  5. I REALLY think it's important, and cannot have a meaningful conversation with anyone who writes HAM

5.2%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

OK.... bere's the deal: A friend of mine and I are in a debate as to whether or not it really matters a hoot if folks write "HAM" instead of "ham". Personally I don't care if they write HAM, ham, H.A.M. or any other way of saying it. While "ham" might be techincally correct, it is such a minute point as to not even worry about it.

My friend however, sees it differently. He thinks that it is important, and that a lot of folks really care about this point.

So..... here's the question: Do you really care what somebody writes in this instance?

(by the way, this is intended as a fun discussion....not a moratorium on the demise of radio, code vs no-code, or anything serious.... so even if you feel strongly one way or the other, let's respect folk's opinion. OK? )

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

First vote. Yay!

I do care, but tend to let it slide.

I'm less forgiving, and often downright snarky, with your/you're/yore, there/they're/their, and diluted/deluded type stuff - especially before the day's first cup of coffee.

Make a visit to the Drudge Report or watch some news on TV - then judge if there are more important things to get all worked up over than someone talking about just getting into HAM radio...

WD4IGX, N6HCM, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  3. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as they are using and furthering the hobby legally they could call it the purple people eating duck monster radio for all I care.

KO4DNM, KD5PME, KN4LGM and 5 others like this.
  4. KK4NSF

our local License Comissioner's office has a sign that says:
    "Due to Budgetary Restraints, we will be close on Wednesdays" :p

W9WQA likes this.
  5. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time this subject came around, it was decided
    that on the Zed it was spelled hAm.

W4IOA, KN4LGM, KI6IPO and 2 others like this.
  6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  7. KK4NSF

Maybe it should be "ha'am".... like one spells "ma'am", as in "Thank you, ma'am"

K0UO likes this.
  8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason it matters is because it is part of the history of our hobby, and an integral term. In any hobby or endeavor, there are terms that people need to know. If you are into photography, you should know the term is "film" and not FILM or F.I.L.M. If someone wrote that on a photography site would people take notice? I think so.

That being said, the term "ham" is over 100 years old. The term HAM is around 20 years old, and is used either by newbies or people unfamiliar with our hobby. Look around the internet, the seasoned hams use "ham", the preppers and neophytes tend to use HAM, probably because they either think it stands for something, or are used to acronyms in other radio services, like CB, GMRS, FRS, etc.

If someone thinks HAM is correct, they need to identify what exactly it stands for, otherwise there is no reason to make it all caps. If it is just a word, then it needs to follow the normal procedures for words, such as first letter capitalized if used as the first word in a sentence, or as a title for something.

The truth is HAM is simply incorrect, and a bastardization.

KF5KWO, KK9W, KN4OTS and 7 others like this.
  9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It appears --at least to me-- to be common among newbies.
    So it's incumbent upon us "greybeards" to let them know.
    ;)

WD4IGX, PU2OZT, K4VLF and 4 others like this.
  10. KK4NSF

you know.... I can understand the point about guiding young minds.

WN1MB likes this.