Do You Own a Dummy Load ?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Dec 25, 2020.

?

Do you have a dummy load or can get one easily ?

1. Yes.

115 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. No, but I know who does and I can borrow it easily.

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. No, but I'd buy one if I ever need it.

8 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. No. I will never use a dummy load.

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. No. Never thought about it before.

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. What's a dummy load ?

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When something weird is going on with your ham setup, one of the most useful trouble-shooting devices to have handy is a dummy load. But apparently not many hams have one. Do you?

2. KN4QNA

KN4QNA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just accidentally got one from a friend, but the HAM gods were kind enough to drop it in my lap just before I needed it for troubleshooting. Now I have purchased my own. With the new contemporary rigs I just don't think especially new HAMs realize they'll need one eventually

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Interesting poll - one answer option in the affirmative, FIVE variations in the negative.

Dave
    W7UUU

KU4X and PU2OZT like this.
  4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

even for basics its good to have 2...parallel 25 ohms. hard to series for 100

5. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, own one and used it to tune my Kenwood hybrid, in the past. But one day I decided the coax switch was way more useful linking the magnetic loop antenna either to the SWR meter and rig or to the antenna analyser. Doesn't seem to make any difference tuning on the air. Wouff-Hong or Rettysnitch, or both?

6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's ham not HAM.
    It's not an acronym.
    Doesn't call for ALL CAPS.
    ;)

AJ4GQ and K7JEM like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My best is a 100W 40 dB attenuator, but it also works as a dummy load. A high power attenuator is very useful, for example when wanting to generate accurate low level signals from a typical bench source.

I also have a convenient, though modest and not well shielded dummy load in an MFJ manual antenna tuner, and a 5W home made dummy load for VHF/UHF.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you have an Isotron, you won't need an additional dummy load ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

W1BR, KQ0J, KU4X and 3 others like this.
  9. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Get on 160M with your new Isotron.
    A great limited space antenna.

10. KN4QNA

KN4QNA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I know that, but I was having a descent go at typing and got carried away with the shift key