ad: elecraft

Do you need a 40 Amp to transmit 200w on Kenwood TS 480 HX?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7HN, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But only if you can develop a suitable equation that makes the sum of those things equal allocated funding. Radios cost what they cost. I can string a relatively inexpensive piece of wire between two sufficiently tall trees and do quite well.

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Astron RS-50 would work well. Enough extra current to operate a 2 meter or Dual-band mobile on receive at same time plus a few other accessories.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The RS-70A or RS-70M will handle it continuously with room to spare. It's a little bigger and heavier than an RS-50A/M; it's what I use to power everything in my shack for the past 20 years and I've never turned it off, so the on/off switch should still work!:p

AG6QR likes this.
  4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I think maybe he was trying to make a point through a bit of humor
    Tom WA4ILH

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

6. ON6KE

ON6KE Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right there, I too see a significant difference between running FT8 at 100 W or running it near a kW. Big difference..

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

NOT if the OP is using some digi-modes at full (fool???) power. The RS-75 would be more reasonable, and then allow for numerous accessories and/or other transceivers. "Too little, too late" is often an amateur lament when it comes to power supplies. An RS-50 AND an RS-35 in combination may meet the requirements, with "breathing room" to spare, rather than being to the max of a single supply at the "skinny edge."

8. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, of course. I presumed he was a normal ham, and actually wanted to communicate via radio. :p

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to remember reading on this very website in days gone by where using two different power supplies simultaneously to power a radio was a technical no no, due to an uneven draw of current. Now it's OK? Did physics take a vacation or was the original supposition faulty?

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

When you say simultaneously, do you mean in parallel?

If the supplies are designed for parallel operation and you follow manufacturers instructions, it should be ok.