Do you leave your mobile radio gear in your vehicle?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KJ7QEL, Sep 14, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ7QEL

KJ7QEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies everyone.

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Slide mounts. I still have one on my 148GTL.

Ed

3. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Problem with those slide mounts is the antenna connection isn't legit. I used one 30 plus years ago, but still direct connected the antenna to the radio.

4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

My dual band and my TS480SAT are left mounted in the car. BUT......I don't live in a high crime area. And......my car is in the garage every night.
    For only 144 or 440 mhz, no matter where I lived, I'd probably keep it in the car.
    Barry

KJ7QEL likes this.
  5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have multiple radios in my pickup. We live in a remote, rural, no crime rate area. When I go to town it is also a low crime rate area and I am not away from the vehicle for very long. My pickup has an alarm system and when it is at home my German Shepherd will always alert us if any stranger comes onto our 5 acres.

I used to have call plates on my truck but no longer do as without them it is less of a target. All of the antennas VHF, UHF and scanner), except one (HF), are hidden inside the fiberglass shell of the truck. They work quite well in there and are not visible from the outside. the one communications antenna that is visible is removed if I am on a trip and staying in a motel over night

KU3X likes this.
  6. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been leaving all manner or stereo gear, CB radios, and ham radios in my automobiles for 28 years. I've never had anything stolen or damaged. I can't imagine taking the rig in and out of the car every night. That would get old really fast and probably wear out the connections.

K2BCE likes this.
  7. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I started out with a mag mount antenna and the radio just laying on the floor under the driver's seat. That was a big mistake. A thief managed to get into my truck and stole the radio. a GPS and a bunch of other stuff. The mag mount led to the vulnerability because it was coming in through the cab rear window. I thought the locks on the window on my shell would be enough to keep people out, but they weren't. I got the last laugh on the thieves though. They took the radio body, but left the control head behind, which was in plain sight on the top of the dash.

After that I took better precautions to secure the truck, including adding a tailgate lock, and NMO mount on the cab roof and bolting the radio to the floor under the seat. I added a mount for the control head that allows me to remove the head and microphone and stash them out of sight. When I'm home or around town, I usually stash the head and mic in the glove box but when I travel, I'll take it into the hotel room with me, including the antenna which unscrews from the NMO.

In response to the comment about call sign plates making a vehicle more attractive, the average crook has no idea what a ham radio plate is. In the above case, my call sign sign plate had no bearing on the theft. Hotel video surveillance showed the thieves going from vehicle to vehicle in the parking lot trying the doors on each one. My truck turned out to be the one they could get into.

8. NK8I

NK8I Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I leave it in the car and just toss a windbreaker I keep in the car over it to obscure the rig from view.

9. VK2WE

VK2WE Ham Member QRZ Page

Not any more after some low life decided they wanted the radios more than me
    VK2WE

10. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Mount your radio and enjoy life. If they stole your radio they probably left with the car too. I don’t think it is incredibly common practice to steal radios these days, but if I see anyone toting around a dual band radio I’m going to make lots of MacGruber jokes.

KJ7QEL and W1TRY like this.