ad: QSLWorks-1

Do you have a plan to become Silent Key?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Oct 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No one is interested in the radio astronomy stories. The radio people treat me poorly. See the nonsense for example, on qrzed.

The fractal people , otoh, treat me like a sage:) As do innovators.

The point is , we all have fascinating stories...and I love hearing them!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you pull through.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bryan,

Its shocking to realize that our relations usually don't value that which we prize. But its fairly typical, and I've had some frank conversations with my son so that we both know where we stand and what can be done before I go SK. That way there's no lingering guilt after I croak.

When people donate stuff it doesn't stay as stuff, but is sold off or cashed in. There are exceptions--but who has time to vet all that?

I wish you well, better health, and keep up the good fight.

Sounds like you raised two wonderful people--most people can't say that.

Chip W1YW

K9ASE and K3RW like this.
  4. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully this doesn't sound like attack of The Good Idea Fairy, but I like the idea of having a repository for donating equipment, and have the family take the tax deduction. Maybe some clubs already do.

I bet many family members don't know if the stuff even works (which is what we'd like to know on Ebay) and can only identify it by whatever label is on it. If they can't sell it easily I imagine it goes directly into the dumpster.

The busted equipment could be used for parts, learning troubleshooting--and ready to go rigs could be loaned/leased to hams to learn on. Give people an incentive to upgrade, give them hands-on-learning, and give people a chance to try the old tube equipment. As for rigs and other stuff, no one I've seen allow rentals on them, yet I can rent ultra-high-end camera lenses and even firearms at the range, even a car, but not a $450 HF rig.

If I had a spare rig that I didn't use often I'd be happy to loan it to a repository so that others could learn on it. Though they better give it back eventually :)

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here the latest example of dysfunction in the radio /astronomy community.

Arecibo observatory is up on the chopping block. If funded to continue, it costs about $9M a year. But if the site is returned to nature, there is $100M poured into the PR economy for leveling it and letting the native weeds and schistosomiasis conquer the karst....

Which way do YOU think it will go...

Also, there is now a $20M lawsuit for age discrimination and sexual harassment (?; could be wrong on this part)) going on. Another incentive to level the site.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

As with all fields, there are great people. But that community , if generalized, has some real problems.

6. N6JRZ

N6JRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take all the boat anchors lol. I've been wanting to collect older radios.

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have probably the LARGEST COLLECTION of Boat Anchors on the West Coast. Truly THOUSANDS of radios!!! Sue knows all about them and has moved many of them.
    People are hoping I pass away every day so they can score these. MY wife will let them all go for a song, otherwise they are being tossed in the dumpster.
    Manuals too, close to 15,000 original Ham manuals dating back to the 20s. It is the greatest gold mine ever in one place.

So if you want these, my suggestion is to take out a CONTRACT on me. fit me with some CEMENT OVERSHOES and send me on a quick dip in the San Diego river!!! Or wire up some C4 to the ignition on the SUPERFLEX. Once I am gone, it is all YOURS!!! Come and get it!!!
    ALL YOU CAN HAUL AWAY (though Sue wants some too) She has DIBS on the very best items. Somewhere in the debris is $9000 AUDION TUBE!!!! Also, she gets a NEW IN THE BOX Hull 5150!

Someone will be Lucky enough to HARVEST my callsign too, though I would hope one of the Radio CLubs would nab it for a CLUB CALL.

I am dying quickly from CHF anyway, but if you speed up the process, the GOODIES are yours
    I heard there will be a MINT CONDX Yaesu FTdx5000MP going for $50, as thats what the NUN knows I paid for it. A new Icom 7300 for $50 too.

Just have GUIDO WHACK ME and the greatest estate sale of all time is ON!!!

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and let me gently chide you on this, Pat....

My dad, ex WN1ZWT, lived 20 years with CHF. He was very careful to monitor his potassium and bloating. He would be sure to monitor his dieretics. He eventually had a great doc who could tell when lasic wasnt working and switch him to something else.

I don't know your situation, but there is a good chance you have some control. CHF need not be a death sentence, but a managed illness.

My dad went SK at age 83. With rare exception, he lived a pretty full life, and came back from fluid retention 'dying' more than once --when properly drained. He died from liver failure complications caused by the drug rezulin. Not CHF.

Chip W1YW

9. KR4EE

KR4EE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FYI Internet Archive will take and scan your manuals for their manuals collection.

10. KR4EE

KR4EE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Committee to Preserve Radio Verifications (CPRV) used to take SK QSL ham and SWL QSL card collections but no longer do. The thought that my QSL cards will go in trash kind of bums me out. I've been slowly scanning them & putting them online at Flickr.

11. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent enough time on ships in the USN. these days I prefer fishing within 20 miles of shore.

Carl

12. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

The school radio donations gut from NYC I cannot recall his name nor his callsign but, he was knowing for putting radios and equipment for sale on e-bay. A non-profit 301c guy pocketing money off donated equipment.

13. W0HAO

W0HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone will be Lucky enough to HARVEST my callsign too, though I would hope one of the Radio CLubs would nab it for a CLUB CALL.

I am dying quickly from CHF anyway, but if you speed up the process, the GOODIES are yours
    I heard there will be a MINT CONDX Yaesu FTdx5000MP going for $50, as thats what the NUN knows I paid for it. A new Icom 7300 for $50 too.

Just have GUIDO WHACK ME and the greatest estate sale of all time is ON!!![/QUOTE]

Pat, you need to adopt a more positive attitude....

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no doubt Pat feels like crap a good deal of the time, from pain, fatigue, and medication. But Pat is a great guy with a sarcastic wit. I think that's what he was showing us here:)

15. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no worries about my stuff when I am dead. I bread another ham. He is my son. When I am dead and the party is over it is his to do whatever he wants to with it.
    I have my cemetery plot already too and they don't allow antennas there!! LOL

KR4EE likes this.