ad: Radclub22-1

Do you have a plan to become Silent Key?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Oct 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Raising fish has also been one of my other very serious hobbies for much of my life.

This was me when I was about 10 years old. I would have been an SWL at that time. Lake Superior was three blocks behind me.
    [​IMG]

For many years I've done "private waters management". I have been a writer, presenter, and forum moderator with a group called Pond Boss for a very long time. We teach people how to grow fish and have lots of fun doing it.

Here was my wife's aunt at about age 82 catcthing a golden trout in our backyard a few years ago. A big part of the enjoyment of my ponds is for the kids and elderly to enjoy them. Obviously we enjoy eating the fish too.

[​IMG]

Or my grandson a few years back.

[​IMG]

Big bluegill are my specialty. My good friend Dr. Bruce Condello even has a website devoted to Big Bluegill.

[​IMG]

I grow a few reasonable size catfish too.

[​IMG]

And, If I'm going after really big ones, I use big minnows.

[​IMG]

KR4EE, W5BIB and W7UUU like this.
  2. WA9JOQ

WA9JOQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. N5INP

N5INP Ham Member QRZ Page

"Do I have a Plan to become Silent Key" ... No. NO!!!

I think you mean "Do you have a plan for what happens when you become silent key"

Yea, that's much better ... o_O

AK5B, W7UUU, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My what a generous offer...thanks, but no.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang! I'm gonna give up noodlin and get rod!

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Once I check into the big shack in the sky my two daughters will need to sort out what I leave behind. Of course my will directs all my assets to them but the ham gear is something of an issue and when discussing the subject with them their initial reaction was to bring in the 10 yard dumpster and clean out the house ham gear and all. Have convinced them I think to at least take a photo and place the items on Ebay and since they have no idea what it's worth start it a $1.00 and in large part the marketplace will take over. Have made an honest effort over the years to sell off much of the boatanchor gear but still have too many pieces and a few weeks back at a hamfest the Drake 2B and 2BQ were just too good of deal to pass up and did I mention the real nice Drake 2C at the same fest....oh well don't tell the girls.

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Naah! Don't give up noodlin. There is always the possible excitement of not knowing what might be in that mudhole.:eek: (Wear gloves.)

Besides, the mud that coats your body will keep you looking young! You'd have to pay big bucks at a salon for that.

Yeah, this is bald and bearded old me a few years ago in Okrahoma. Nothing to brag about, but ...

[​IMG]

The bad thing about this thread is that it is going to cost me more money. It is giving me more ideas. I just put a better hitch system on my truck. I did that because I bought a bigger trailer last year. I did that because I needed a place for more buckets. I did that because my bucket lists kept growing.

I've been far more fortunate than most. I'm not done cleaning out my toys, but what is left is manageable by my kids and grandkids.

Time to finish packing up the ham gear and tools for my trip south. Lots of projects and fish await me. I should have been out of here this morning. Oh well, this happens when we get closer to the age of our Silent Key days. We get half fast.

Ken
    K8KJG

P.S. Several months ago I asked my older brother, who was in the hospital with a very nasty bout of pneumonia, if he was going to slow down and quit quit buying new toys. Through his oxygen mask I got a resounding HELL NO! He is still flying. He is still raising cutting cattle for hobbyists. He is still mayor of a small town. He is still crazier than a loon.

W1YW likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing quite like the sand paper burn and the vice like squeeze of a fat ol' flathead cat!

Cool stuff my friend:)

Chip W1YW

9. VE7BH

VE7BH Ham Member QRZ Page

My call sign was owned by the Ham that actually invented the Walkie Talkie. Yup, a Canadian did it and WW2 perfected it. My equipment is of no value to anyone other than another ham, but I would hope that the history of VE7BH and Donald Hings would live on long after I am gone. I class the call sign as not just an identifier but an honour to hold it.

K9UR likes this.
  10. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My XYL is a ham, but is only a Tech and not much interested in anything beyond FM repeaters, and that barely. Some of my gear may be useful to her, and she will probably outlive me. Of the rest, the only thing of any real value is my main HF rig, and that is not a high end one. She could raise a few hundred for that, but for the other equipment it would make little difference whether she could sell it or not.

11. N3RSJ

N3RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think theres a few things you tell yourself minamize your gear?
    But it that's not going happen. If you got a ham room organize best gear in there.
    In garage organize a space for all other ham gear antennas coax ect. This way a spouse or family, ham friend knows, where it all is. Have a sit down with ham buddy, family and advise family of harassing ebayer's that are scanning nets & death notices.
    Have a plan to give or donate or sell the equipment.
    As you get older theres things you find you can't do so have your station & gear organized with access to your family & ham friends so they can deal with this future subject with as much ease as possible.
    I cannot help but to say S.K. 's need a worldwide website memorial so that after the call sign is lost in the deleated
    data bases there should be a place to look at the S.K.'s of this great hobby. So ham friends & familys could put a word or two on the S.K.'s profiles.
    Memories os all we have left when we
    leave this place.

12. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

A web page is a good place to store your intellectual property, assuming you're not about to patent it
    or have other ways to make money from it.

An example of this are some of the great vacuum tube projects done by Fred Nachbaur (SK)
    http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/ Fred may be gone, but his interesting projects live on. G'zot!

Of course, one must find a person or entity that is willing to host the web pages.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ouch! No!

Copyright, trademark regs, and patents, are in safe deposit boxes--along with copies.

My son will deal with it, under attorney guidance.

14. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well while we're planning to operate on Silent Key Night another thing to consider is what to do with the QSLs. K8CX has a museum and I think there are others in Spain and Austria. I really know nothing about them so am not advertising. But it is an issue to think about. It would be a shame to have one's collection, awards or books end up in a garage sale or worse.

15. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am still youngish and planning on hanging around for some time, but my son has his ticket so he can have all my ham gear etc.