Do you have a 2 Meter radio in your Personal Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by N6OPS, Mar 30, 2019.

?

Do you have a 2Meter radio in your personal vehicle ?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2019.
  1. YES

67.5%
  2. NO

32.5%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you took your personal vehicle to a disaster area, do you have a 2 meter mobile radio inside it so that you could do communications from your vehicle.

2. W6TAB

W6TAB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2m, 70cm, and HF.

N6OPS likes this.
  3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not keep my dual band mobile in my truck but if needed then I can easily put it on the passenger seat with a magnet mount antenna on the roof. When planning for long road trips I will often take my Amateur mobile and a CB radio.

N6OPS likes this.
  4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

A 2 meters-only radio or a multiband radio with 2 meters?

5. N6OPS

Anything with 2 meter.

6. N6OPS

In advance, Thank you everyon for your participation. This is being used as part of a study for Agencies and Non-Profits to help them determine if they should equip their facilities in advance, or take a chance on someone to show up with the correct equipment or not. It is difficult to explain to new people why an expense is necessary or not.

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

NO WAY.

8. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes for the last +50 years, started out with an old Motorola commercial rig converted it had a dyna motor

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me, too.

First 2m FM mobile rig was an FMTRU-80D made by Motorola c. 1960 or maybe earlier. "Conversion" to 2m really only involved new crystals and very slight re-tuning.

Vibrator power for RX, dynamotor power for the TX power amplifier.

It was in the trunk, with a fat cable (about like a Python) running from the trunk to the dashboard for the control head, which had nothing more than an on/off switch, volume and squelch control. Complex programming! To program it, you'd get out of the car, open the trunk, remove the cover and change crystals.:)

My little Plymouth Valiant with its 225 cid 6-cyl motor and stock alternator would almost stall if I transmitted while not moving. Actually, I think it did stall sometimes.

Good times.

And for the survey: "Yes," since 1968.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    N6OPS likes this.
  10. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.