ad: Amateur-1

Do you find the new adverts on QRZ offensive?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by N3HKN, Apr 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I found the new advertisements, QRZ is being paid to host, disgusting. If you are a heavy social media user you might just accept that stuff as normal. But, as an older Ham, I find it offensive. Having said that, I LIKE the Ham related ads. I like Ham Radio catalogs. I do not like ads for perfume and other lotions.

I tried to block the specific ads but was unsuccessful and thus I have now deprived myself of the informative and genuinely interesting Ham ads as well. Do you have an opinion on the new advertisements on QRZ?

Dick N3HKN

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

All domains and websites have one purpose, to make MONEY.

KY1K, NE1U and WG7X like this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Advertising on QRZ?!?

No way!

Really?

There are various ways to rid yourself of those pesky ads. Subscription is one; Adblock is another.

Just remember: QRZ is a business. If you want it to be free, advertisements are the cost of admission.

KN4PHS, N8AFT, WA7PRC and 1 other person like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not been seeing them.

But I have not bought any KY or Prep H lately.

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  5. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would a jelly be named after a state?

W1TRY and NE1U like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have ever been there you would see why.

It is a slick state.

KI4ZUQ, KD8DEY and NE1U like this.
  7. W5PFG

W5PFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. I have an opinion.

Paid advertising offsets the costs to operate this website. Using this website for free, you are subjected to the advertising.

Because I see value in this website, I am a paid subscriber. I don't see the ads. I'm not offended by what I don't see.

KC9BNW, N0TZU, KQ9J and 4 others like this.
  8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to learn to control your own thinking , " If you do not mind - it does not matter "
    I have no blocking , and have not let the adds into my thinking , except when I might be able to afford & shop for an item , then I BOTHER to look at adds .
    A little control of your self , I do not even notice the adds , unless I choose to notice them .

But on the other hand , I like the idea of having just ham radio related adds would be nice , but not knowing the numbers , I can only guess that - there may not be enough ham adds to cover what needs to be covered .

So then back to the 1st suggestion , control your own attention ;)

9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your statement is simply not true. I own a domain name and have a website, costs me $410 a year, there is no advertising, and no intent to make money from it, and indeed I do not make any money from it. There are many domains and websites that have purposes other than to make money. Better to say "some" or "many" have a purpose of making money. Certainly not all.

That said, I am a paid subscriber to QRZ and do not see ads.

What I find offensive on many commercial sites are involuntary video downloads. I go to a news site and read an article for 10 minutes, while the site is downloading 400 Mb of videos that I will never watch. That offends me. I have data limits, 10 Gb per month, so 400 Mb is well beyond my daily budget. So I boycott sites that do that.

K1BOO, MSBETTYHUNT, KP4SX and 4 others like this.
  10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy fix.

If you are offended or disgusted, don't come back to the site.

Your problem - solved.

I think the rest of us understand the why of advertising to support the site.....

KI4ZUQ, N6PJB, K0UO and 1 other person like this.