Do you do CW?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KD2UHF, Jan 26, 2021.

Tags:
?

Do you do CW?

1. CW

82.0%
  2. Not

18.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, a very basic straight key. I have toyed with the idea of a bug, but I have enough difficulty with one movement - no need for two!

Martin

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just listen to the air... There are a lot of people every day, and on weekends there's nowhere to be easy find clear frequency

WW2PT likes this.
  3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

GM shaking like a "leaf" --> bug ahhh but must agree, lost contact with insects and trees too, which my two cats remind me every day. POTA is not even an option in my town.
    Back to bugs (ours) mine did not need so much of a learning curve, actually.
    Drastically helped me remembering and listening to code, because I am now imagining the arm/hand moves together with the sound, easier than a robotic keyer (which I hate).
    S U
    Oliver

W5BIB likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since your QRZ page says that you are 13 years old, I assume that you plan to write that report for school.

But, but careful what you say in that report.
    Survey results here tell you nothing about how popular cw is in the overall (worldwide) amateur radio community.
    It just tells you how popular it is among QRZ users (a TINY portion of the overall amateur radio community) who respond to your survey.
    ;)

KK9W, PU2OZT, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  5. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hello Ted.
    I have known Morse- CW since I
    was 7 yrs. old, its music to my
    brain(ears). I use morse 98% of
    the time, to myself its a musical
    language , good luck to you
    young-man. 73’s

Paul K8PG

6. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I do CW. Sometimes I even see double, you?

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Except for the occasional check-in to an HF net or 2-meter FM, I operate mostly CW. I was first licensed in 1978 when the entry level license was Novice. We had to pass a 5 word-per-minute code (wpm) test. We had no choice. If we wanted to get on the air, we had to use CW. The General class license required that you pass a 13 wpm test. For whatever reason, I've stuck with CW all these years.

I enjoy chasing DX and working states and grids on new bands. For me, it is a bit easier to make these contacts on CW, especially when signals are weak. I'm listening for a short tone or a long tone and not words or phrases. Also, CW has no accent. For me, it is a bit difficult to understand some non-English speaking hams on single side band even if they are using standard phonetics. That is not a complaint against those whose native language is not English. They do the best they can, and I respect that. I'm reasonably sure that some non-English speaking hams have some difficulty understanding me when I use what little Spanish, French, or German that I know. Given my heavy southern accent, they probably have difficulty understanding me when I speak my native language:D

Good luck on your report.

N4CVX and N0NC like this.
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe we need a follow up survey asking "Do you respond to surveys" ? ;)

But, yes, I agree with your point. It's very difficult to design a good survey with controls that will measure what is intended, without generating bias, unintentionally or otherwise; and then to interpret the results appropriately. For example, what if one asks a little bit different question such as "What modes do you use" or "What is your favorite mode", what will the results show for the popularity of CW?

I think this is a good potential learning moment for the OP.

W4II likes this.
  9. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I do. Like N5CM, other than a couple nets and 2m fm, I mostly do CW. Passed the 5, 13, and 20 wpm test on the way up. Much easier to work DX on CW, at least for me.
    73, Chuck
    N0NC

10. N4UJ

N4UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Been mostly cw since becoming licensed 63 years ago.
    N4UJ