Do we just want to complain?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7KKK, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago now, after discharge from the Army, I was working as an electronics mechanic apprentice for the US Government (Navy) as a civilian.

I found myself working with an old timer who was aged, at the time, in his mid 70’s. His name was Clarence Fields, we all called him “Pops”, and he was from Sonoma, CA. He was the oldest electronics mechanic in the shop at the shipyard where we were employed. He encouraged me to get my first license as a Novice in the 1970’s, which I did not stay with at the time.

He was an amateur radio operator (I never did know his callsign) and he told me hours of endless stories about ham radio while we worked at the bench together. He told me that he and friends where he had come from were hams before there was a government agency involved and how they all thought that when the government got involved that it would just mess things up. He told me that hams were “self regulating” and that they did not need anyone’s permission to operate a radio of any kind, on any frequency, and that included the government. He then followed about how the government had the then operators get involved in setting up some rules for everyone to follow and then almost everyone was satisfied.

He told me endless stories of the changes in ham radio over the years and how things had been made worse, or better, depending on your view at the time. He told me of arguments at club meetings and over the air and such. It often made me wonder if I really wanted to be involved in the hobby. It appears that we have not changed any over the years. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, like it or not.

It would appear that the ARRL and the FCC will make the General Class no code a reality, and that only the Extra Class will have to suffer the rigors of passing the dreaded 5 WPM CW testing. Will this bring an infusion of new HF operators into being? It would appear so, at least to me. Is it going to ruin Amateur Radio? I would hope not.

Everybody has there own favorites for operating today. I still operate a little CW today but I prefer voice. I was a radio operator in the Army and taught CW as an instructor for a short time. It’s not my favorite mode by all means. On the other hand, I refuse to put a computer in control of my rig, or even near its operating position. Call me old fashioned.

It would appear to me that the ARRL and the FCC are trying to makes some changes that they see fit. And those changes have been influenced by many groups and individuals. Your opinions may not agree with what they have come up with but I am beginning to think that most of us just want something to complain about. Without that, we seem to be at a loss.

2. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Complaining is human nature. Have you ever seen a "compliment department" at a place of business?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't confuse 'complaining' with 'bitching'.

Complaining about something with the view to pointing out flaw(s) and/or concerns is one thing.

We've had LOTS of complaints which contain GOOD observations and findings which need to be addressed.

SOME of those complaints have had good ideas and thoughts for resolution.

BITCHING.. on the other hand (I think) may be what ZDY is commenting upon.

We see lots of 'BITCHING' (otherwise known as 'P&M' - "P'ing and Moaning" without any real foundational information OR suggestions about how to deal with it.

In the common vernacular of today..  
    'venting', 'ranting', 'flaming', 'kvetching', etc..

[​IMG]

As William Shakespeare put it so well, long ago.

"Sound and fury signifying nothing"

I think this is what ZDY was noting in his post and he is 100 percent correct.

I am not saying I've NEVER vented/ranted/flamed/kvetched, I have. But I also know that I've complained too.

K3FT

4. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Both valid points.
    I am glad, however, that Steve had stopped the personal attacks that were taking place.

5. N8YV

N8YV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WA2ZDY @ Feb. 10 2004,17:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Complaining is human nature.  Have you ever seen a &quot;compliment department&quot; at a place of business?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Funny, now that you mention it! Such compliment &quot;departments&quot; are often nothing more than small drop-boxes into which you deposit pieces of paper, or perhaps pre-printed forms.

Too bad the expectations are so low, but then again, most businesses with such boxes know fully well how amazingly ignorant John Q. Public really is, and are actually quite surprised when a &quot;positive&quot; shows up!

Ahh, yes.....the great American, pre-opening sales meeting!
    I don't miss it, in the LEAST!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

To paraphrase a line from the song..

&quot;I don't want to complain...&quot;
    &quot; I just wanna bang on de keyboard all day!&quot;
    &quot;I don't wanna complain...&quot;
    &quot;I just wanna bang of de keyboard all day!&quot;

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like to complain. Complaining is fun, cathartic, and gives me a way to vent my pent up frustration.

Example, if the city of Manasas can have a BPL system why can't I have an arc transmitter? How come I can't operate spark mode? Why do most people drive like A!! holes?

All good questions I intend to ponder in a future post but for now, I'll just complain about something till I fell better.

8. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I think that people have a right to complain, when the subject of their complaint is a valid one.

However, there are people that complain about EVERYTHING. You remember the Tshirt that had all the fisherman's complaints on it. &quot; The weather is too hot. . .the weather is too cold. . .it's too dry. . .it's too wet. . . &quot; etc. etc.

However, there are some serious problems with the A.R.R.L. leadership and agenda, the F.C.C. and lack of regulation, BPL , illegal use of the bands, etc. etc. People have the right to, and indeed are complaining about these very real problems.

Now, you can complain all you want about things like that, but the important thing is that you have to go BEYOND the complaints and suggest positive actions that will CORRECT these problems.

If these complaints do not lead to positive steps, they are in vain. That is when the complaints actually are a part of the problem, and not a part of the solution.

So lets &quot;quitchurbitchin&quot; and move beyond the complaints into a positive, constructive thought process, followed by real action!

73 from Jim AG3Y

9. K2DCA

K2DCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't it great we don't live in China where they can shut us up anytime they want. What a great country we live in [​IMG]

I'm for a CW requirement. (I've explained why elsewhere on QRZ.) I get concerned when I hear words and phrases like, &quot;complain&quot;, &quot;give it up&quot;, &quot;fighting&quot;, &quot;it's dead already&quot;...and such.

No matter what you think the FCC might do, this is the time for open discussion. The FCC has not yet made a decision. As long as it is done respectfully and intelligently, since when is standing up for what you believe complaining? This can seem like a ploy just to shut down a debate to me. At the least it seems an attempt to invalidate one's honest point of view.

It is not wrong or against Ham Radio to state a belief, to stand up for it and work for it. Once it becomes law we will have to accept it or work for change but I would just be careful about assigning the words &quot;complain&quot; and &quot;fighting&quot; to people who feel strongly about a valid issue, as long as they are respectfull and offer something to the debate, of course.

I dare say representatives from all sides of the issue are just as robust in their course of the debate. Many are convinced that the CW folks are going to lose the issue. We are not stupid, we understand where we stand. But whatever we think our prospects are, it should never shut down an honest debate. Because it looks as though we've already lost, if we present a view is that complaining? No, I think not.

I'm not picking on anyone just offering a caution, if I may.
    I've seen some comments denegrating the character of a no coder as wanting everything for nothing and so forth. I think that is a valid motive for the current proposals but I would not assign it to anyone's personal character. There is a difference between a general consensus and someone's personal character, I think. I guess I would be very careful about that too. And you all are helping me keep my sense of humor and I appreciate that [​IMG]

John
    KG4MSW

10. W3BNY

W3BNY Ham Member QRZ Page

A Bitchin Sailor is a happy Sailor

Wonder where I heard that before. Oh yeah!! When I was cleaning berthing! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.