Do Verified members no longer require a callsign in photos

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KE0EYJ, Jul 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do "Verified" members no longer need to post their callsign within a photo?

Do we still report the lack of a call in a photo?

I am thinking of a recent 590SG ad from a Verified seller.

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is covered in the new Swapmeet Rules stickie

AJ4GQ likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer to your question is a call sign is not required to be shown in your ad, but it's still preferred. Moving forward, moderators will not remove ads without them.

With that said, a primary reason to continue including your call sign in your ad photo, is because it provides an added layer of protection from scammers who may use your equipment photos on other websites on the internet. Your call sign included in the equipment photo, pretty much ruins any prospect for them to consider engaging in this kind of scam opportunity with others using your posted ad photos.

Basically, the reason it's something that remains preferred to do is simply because it instills an increased level of confidence for your potential buyers. Buyers like to know you actually have physical possession of the equipment you are offering for sale. So when you include your call sign in your ad photo, it removes any doubt of that, meaning it further encourages prospective buyers into making a purchasing decision.

Similarly, another way to encourage prospective buyers to make a purchase from you is to provide them with an ad photo of the equipment powered on and operating. This shows others the equipment you are offering for sale is actually working and operational.

Of course, that's not any kind of requirement when posting ads either, but these helpful tips can significantly benefit you as the seller, to become more successful with making your online sales.

Good luck with your transactions and if you are not sure about anything, please don't hesitate to ask any further questions you may have.

4. ND3U

ND3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I say keep the requirement for the sellers callsign to appear in the picture. That way the pictures can't be leached and used by others on other sites.

KE0EYJ and N1VAU like this.
  5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Umm...... Please explain this cut and paste from the "Swapmeet Rules- rev July 2019" sticky on the top of the "Ham Radio Gear For Sale" forum

"Photos are REQUIRED for all sale listings. All For-Sale or For-Trade items must include a picture of the actual item being offered for sale or trade....."

I'm not trying to bust your balz, I just want a clarification please.

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Photos are required; callsign is optional.

I was a bit surprised too about the optional part but that's the current rule.

N1VAU likes this.
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you are correct. Photos will continue to remain as a requirement for any swapmeet listings.

N1VAU likes this.
  8. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, I get it now!
    Photos absolutely, call sign in photo optional but recommend.

Thanks for the clarification Charles!

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. ND3U

ND3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still say that callsigns should still be a requirement in all photos and not photoshopped in. There are going to be a whole lot of people ripped off on other boards if you don't require it. Most people are not vigilant enough to check out the photos before spending their hard earned money. This SIMPLE requirement can eliminate all that. I hope common sense isn't being lost here on QRZ.

10. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To be frank, we moderators have grown weary of harassing people who are too lazy to read the rules. Is an endless task with a fresh batch of first time posters arriving every day. It wouldn’t be so bad if we could simply delete and move on, but everyone wants an explanation and then we have to exchange messages two or three times with each seller. We’ve been doing this for several years now and it’s just not fun anymore. Oh, and a lot of them come to us angry and in a huff because we should have known that they are upstanding citizens that don’t deserve such scrutiny.

So, you can thank yourselves for the current state of affairs.

W6KKO, WB0MPB and W3ESE like this.