Do they still make any dedicated 6 meter radios?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K4ZOT, Dec 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tnx for your response. I have the ZLP DM PRO+ interface just time for a more modern upgraded digital rig. Recent 6M digital activity has increased significantly. I was looking at a TS-590SG and then I ran across the IC-7300 - very impressive rig for the money. I've been a Kenwood operator for years, but this 7300 with the display is really sometime.

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have to go back in my logs to see if I notated what you were running when we worked each other several times back then. I think you were in Springfield. I lived in Rahway until mid 73 when we moved to Sayreville. For the life of me, as I type, I can't remember what rigs I was running back then in Rahway. I know for several years right up till I moved, I had the Hy-Gain 6 element beam mounted on a 50 foot telescoping mast.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I did live in Springfield until 1973 and my 6m station changed frequently. Started out on AM, added SSB in 1967 and ran AM-CW-SSB for years and still had AM gear as well as SSB in '73. Moved to Randolph Twp, then to Mt. Arlington, then to Mt. Olive, then to W. Long Branch before leaving the state altogether a long time ago.

Had various beams including the 6L Telrex over the years. Last station at the shore used four stacked 5L beams on 12' booms in an H-frame and had my 4-1000A running at legal limit on six pretty often. Every time I operated from there Ed W2IDZ would come on and complain my signal occupied the whole band. Turned out I was overloading his receiver so badly it just couldn't deal with the signal.:p Evidently we were about line of sight to each other.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW! That's an "oldie but goodie."

5. WA2CWA

For some reason I can't find my 1970/71 log book (in the stack of all my other log books) but we did work on 9/2/72, starting at 4:30 PM EST on 6M SSB and lasting for 45 minutes. I'm sure we worked prior to that and could verify if I can find that old log book. We moved in 73 so some stuff might of got misfiled. Unfortunately, no notation of what you were running except that you were in Springfield. I suspect we also worked numerous times during the many VHF contests when you guys were running under K2XR. I also noticed from the various logs that I worked Bill, K2OWR, numerous times too.

I also now remember what I was running during that period of time. The HF AM/SSB/CW transmitter was a Heathkit Apache and SB-10 (sideband adapter) and the receiver setup was a Mosley CM-1 and an Ameco CN-50 nuvistor converter. Antenna at that time was an old 5 element Hy-Gain. I built a 6M transverter (36 MHz) with a pair of 6146's in the final. On 20 meters, the Apache drove the SB-10 and the output of the SB-10 drove the transverter. VFO control and power for the SB-10 was done with the Apache. Actually worked quite well. The transverter cabinet was a desk top old Bell System data cabinet which I painted to match the Apache cabinet color. The closest color for the front face came out almost a light pea green color but I was happy with it. Still have the transverter stored under one of my work benches. I built a similar one several years later in a much prettier cabinet (still have this transverter too) which I used until I bought the TS-600 and then used the TS-600 to drive the Gonset 913A amp (4X150). I should pull these out and take some pictures before I'm dead and buried. :p

Ed lived in Colts Neck so he wasn't that far from you in W. Long Branch. His main rig setup was an IC-551D and a pair of 4 over 4 beams. Obviously, if you were beaming West or Northwest, you would really be tickling his receiver very badly. Ed was a fun guy and a great designer. We had many SSB QSO's on the air and one evening we switched over to AM so he could do an alignment and some AVC changes to his Lil Lulu receiver.

6. WB2WIK

Yes, Ed was in Colts Neck. From the top of my 70' tower I could probably see Colts Neck.

But he didn't overload me at all. Back then my 6m station was actually a Kenwood TS-830S with a Microwave Modules MMT50/28S transverter driving a 4-1000A (grid driven) at ~1250w PEP output to four 5-L beams in an H-frame. The MMT did not overload and I used an attenuator between its IF output and the TS-830S input to help assure it didn't overload, either.

Used to work random meteors almost every single night (365 days a year, if I was home) with that gear and had some "rag chews" off meteors with K9HMB, K8MMM, WB2OTK/4 (SC) and others. It was great fun.

7. WA2CWA

From roughly 1979 through the early 90's, I ran a stacked 7 over 7 antenna system. Some time in the late 80's I picked up a LT-6S SSB Electronic transverter from Hans, VE3CRU, at Dayton (I think they had just hit the market and Hans had two new ones) and ran it with TS-830S. The LT-6S drove the Gonset 913A very nicely. This was a great combo of stuff (still have the equipment but these specific antennas finally fell apart) and like you, working meteor scatter was easy and great for picking up those additional points in a VHF contest. But, when I ran this stuff and pointed the antenna at Ed, I always had to drop the power way down because I would overload his receiver too. When I pointed the antenna away from him, even at high power, there didn't seem to be a problem. Great fun in the "good old days".

8. WB2WIK

I remember Hans well. He was the North American importer of MMT stuff for years, and since MMT did not make a 222 MHz transverter at all, he'd modify 2m transverters to 220 MHz and relabel them as MMT220/28 or whatever. I had one of his 220 MHz converted MMT transverters, and it worked fine!

Many hams in the northeastern U.S. were on 220 MHz SSB purely because Hans offered this. I used to work him from home on 144-220-432 MHz pretty easily.

9. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing that supports CAT but you don't need it.

http://www.rangerusa.com/rci-5054dx.html?vm=r

RCI-5054DX-100
    AM-FM-SSB-CW 6 Meter Mobile Radio

$319 Plus shipping

10. WA2CWA

I had a MMT220/28 for several years. Got it from Carl, W2AZL, who was retiring it for some other transverter or equipment setup. I don't remember but Hans must had written up a manual for it because according to my web site list, I have one. Also had MMT432/28 for many years and it worked quite well too. I worked Hans on 2M but can't remember if I worked him on other bands. At that time I had a stacked quad of Cushcraft 32-19's. Carl persuaded me to sell him 2 of them because he was building an EME array. I was fine with that since that quad array was a real wind catcher at 70 feet.