ad: cq2k-1

Do they still make any dedicated 6 meter radios?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K4ZOT, Dec 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do they still make any dedicated 6 meter radios? I can not find any. Are there any relatively new dedicated 6M radios that can support CAT and digital communications. I am looking to sell my mint Kenwood TS-60 radio (WAS-48) for a more modern digital supporting rig. This radio has served me well, but I want to get into the digital mode now.

If no dedicated 6M rigs - what is the recommended combo rig that works very well on 6M and supports digital?

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Six only rigs; Ranger RCI-5054 might still be around. MFJ has a 6M SSB model. CAT, no.
    A lot of the newer HF radio's include 6.

3. KG4KAH

KG4KAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on what you are looking for, Yaesu FT 450D has 6 meters, as well as Yaesu FT 991. Icom also makes several HF+6 rigs. All are capable of operating in the modern digital modes.

Wade

4. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an FT-857D for 6 meters and it works fine in digital modes (I only work digital and CW).

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There are LOTS of 6 Meter radios on the market. The single model that comes to mind, is there Kenwoos TS560, a 6 Meter only transceiver, that still demands a previous price. It will depend upon the performance you actually want.

6. WA9SVD

Most of the manufactures have added 6 Meter operation to most of their so-called "HF" radios. So it; NOT just ICOM. Yaesu and Kenwood offer transceivers that are hF+ 6 Meters.

K6CLS likes this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

My Kenwood TS480 does great on 6m. And every other band too.

8. WA9SVD

As far as a "dedicated" 6 Meter radio, I wish you "lottsa luck." I do not (sadly) believe such a beast currently exists.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it does, either.

I guess the manufacturers figured out that for what it costs to build a decent 6m transceiver, they could add 160-10 meters for only the cost of a couple of transformers and several switched low pass filters, all of which don't cost much. Probably a good multimode 6m rig with the addition of 160-10m componentry adds less than $100 to the overall cost, so you get the other bands whether you wanted them or not.

In the "analog" transceiver days, this wasn't the case. A 6m rig would cost quite a bit less than an all-band rig.

10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, you get a Signalink USB and whatever software you want and go with that and your TS-60. No reason not to.
    Short of that you need to decide on just what you want in a "digital supporting rig". Some have built in soundcards and some newer rigs don't. Some decode RTTY and PSK in the rig itself and some don't. What are you willing to spend?
    The TS-60 was probably the last of the single band 6 meter rigs by the big three.
    How much digital mode activity do you expect to find on 6 meters? I wouldn't expect much.
    Looking for Alaska and Hawaii maybe??