ad: wmr-1

Do they really "MeanWell"?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7IMM, Oct 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Howdy all,

Since there's no "Power Supply" forum here I guess this goes here!

I have a solid state 12V powered linear amplifier (Henry Radio SS-750) . I currently run it from a pair of Astron RS-70M power supplies connected in parallel. It actually works quite well. The amplifier will easily put out around 900-1000W with each of the RS-70's providing 50-60A and the operating voltage stays right at 13.8 VDC from no load to over 100A (peak total)

The RS-70's work well in general until you try to move one of them. They weigh quite a bit (somewhere around 50lbs each)

I would like to go to a switcher and have used them for quite some time. I currently have an Astron SS-30M and an SS-50M..... the SS-50M by comparison (to the RS-70M) weighs only 5.5 lbs.

The one I am looking at now is the MeanWell RSP-2400-12 (which weighs about 30lbs), will supply nearly 170A with little or no voltage change.

https://www.digikey.com/htmldatasheets/production/2511963/0/0/1/rsp-2400-series-datasheet.pdf

This power supply is EMC rated, meaning it has been tested to a "standard" (see the PDF above)

But the real test is running one on the air and seeing for sure if there's "birdies" flying about!

That brings me to this thread.

Anyone have experience using Meanwell switching power supplies on HF powering any of the current crop of HF radios and amps?

73/Rick

2. WB5THT

WB5THT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Meanwell is one of the better known Chinese switcher power supply brands, I have one on my 3D printer but I have no idea how RF quiet it is. I use 40 amp Powerwerx switchers for my station which are very high quality and RF quiet.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a try and see.

Pushing a 750 Watt amp to 1000 Watts using 12 volts is a stretch.

I have never seen a switcher that was completely RFI free.

I would use a big battery for the extra reserve.

Good Luck. It sounds like you need a 8877. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It actually weighs about 7-1/2 lbs. The "about 30 lbs" is for a 4-pack of four of them.

Meanwell has been around quite a while and is a big power supply manufacturer. They have a pretty good reputation. That model has two cooling fans -- don't know how much noise they make. The RS-70M single low-speed cooling fan is pretty quiet.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've yet to detect any RFI from my little Samlex.

6. W7IMM

Um no. I don't want or need an 8877! Those things way too expensive @ nearly $2000 each!!

The SS750 was somewhat underrated. I haven't talked to anyone with one that didn't get at least 800-900w out of them! and if you look at the ratings for 2SC2879's, (4 push-pull units) 250 out of a pair of them isn't much of a "stretch" for a device nominally rated at 100W (ea) with 250W dissipation.

Now, having said that, the IMD minimum (single-ended) is closer to 60W (out of 1) so there's other good reasons not to push them too hard. But this is a little off subject since I was asking about switching power supply RFI

Hmm....
    Yeah.....completely missed that! 7.5lbs sounds even better!

I don't have problems with Astron fan noise at all. They're actually pretty quiet. I think the fans on the SS750 might make a little more noise when they come on. I am more concerned with the RFI generated by the Meanwell power supply.

If you noticed in their data sheet, they do test for EMI but we all know that the only REAL test is in actual use.

I have actually "been-there-done-that" when years ago I had a Metron MA1000B amp running off two series connected 150A 5V switchers.

The power supply was actually a pair of 5V 150A supplies paralleled in one box to make 300A total. Since the outputs were isolated, It was pretty easy reconfigure them for series (150A) use.

I was able to adjust the 2 power supplies to 6.5V and then run both the amp and transceiver from the combination. The amp would draw around 110A and the radio was somewhere around 20-25A.

The output voltage did not vary 1/10th of a volt when everything was keyed at approx 135A! Those power supplies did generate a little EMI but it wasn't bad and did not have very many "spikes" on 75 and 40m where I operated most.

I think a lot of the switchers have come a long way and I know of Meanwells reputation as somewhat of the top of the line. Their own data sheet indicates it can be used for RF applications.

I was just hoping that someone here might have tried one on a 12V 500-1000W amp and could answer the question!

Seems like I am always the guy with the unique stuff that very few people have ever tried!!

By the way, that HT33 with the 4CX300A's works FLAWLESSLY 650 out with about 4W drive!! And so far, I have only found 2 people online that have ever even used one!

Cheers,

Rick

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. WA2EIO

WA2EIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might want to take a look at
    http://www.megawattpowersupplies.com/

The site says they are made in the U.S.. You can try emailing them with your questions. I know they look just like the Meanwells, so some research is in order, Just providing another possible source.

8. W7IMM

Awesome! thumb.gif Thanks!

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt they're made in U.S.A. The "final assembly" (like adding the label and packaging it) probably is.

That operation is ten miles from where I'm sitting and the owner is actually a well-known speedboat racer who runs a Mercury engine dealership. I'm pretty sure he's not a ham but seems to know quite a lot about amateur radio.

10. KH6AQ

KH6AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used a Meanwell power supply to power my HF radio and did not notice any RFI from it. You results may vary. And say what you want about Meanwell, at least they mean well.

KI4FQZ likes this.