Do Satellite Contacts Count for W.A.S. on 2 Meters ????????

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K2WH, Nov 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been making lots of contacts on 2 and basically ignoring the state when uploaded to LotW.

Since I only need about 15 states on 2 (after 50 years), I was wondering or thinking, Hey, maybe those states I've been working via satellite count towards a W.A.S. award. I don't know.

Do they ?

K2WH

2. KG4AKV

KG4AKV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. There is a separate WAS just for satellite. If you use Logbook of The World you can see all of them in your WAS Award account. There are separate ones for FT8 and JT65, for example, too. I actually only need HI, MT, and SD for Satellite WAS.

3. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

After looking at my own LoTW WAS award page, I think the satellite QSOs count for Mixed WAS and for the Satellite endorsement, and do not count for straight 2M; while any non-satellite propagaton mode qualifies for 2M WAS. Good luck if Hawaii is one of the remaining 15! (It's my last needed for Sat WAS. Physically possible for me, if I go someplace with a lower noise floor and much better western horizon. #ShouldHaveWorkedKH6whenwehadAO13AO40).

KG4AKV and K0UO like this.
  4. K2WH

Thanks, never knew that but I found it in my account.

KG4AKV likes this.
  5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

reading this got me thinking/looking
    I need 8, all dooable except hawaii which using AO-7 would be very close to the edge for my qth and who ever in HI.

VE4MM and KG4AKV like this.
  6. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

From WAS Rules on ARRL website:

6) Contacts made through repeaters or any other power relay method cannot be used for WAS credit. A WAS award is available for Satellite contacts. All stations contacted must be “land-based stations.” Contacts with ships, anchored or otherwise, and aircraft cannot be counted.

9) Types of WAS awards:
    f) Satellite WAS. Confirmations for QSOs confirmed using any mode or combination of modes using any satellite.

So since a satellite is technically a repeater, it can only count for the satellite award. And it is because it is a 'power relay' device. Interestingly enough you can bounce a signal off of an airplane skin and it counts. And yes, that is a thing... sounds very weird.

KG4AKV and K0UO like this.
  7. K2WH

Boy you know how to spoil our fun. :p

8. N2NWK

N2NWK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I need Hawaii and Alaska for Satellite WAS.

VE4MM likes this.
  9. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

AK is very do-able from DC area. KH6 is theoretically possible if both stations can work 1 deg or lower (RS44). There is a ham on Oahu active on satellites, but he has a big hill blocking him for east coast QSOs. WL7T tried with me when he was on the Big Island last winter, there was a hill in the way I didn't know about until after the attempt. There are several overlooks on Skyline Drive just barely within my WAS circle. So hoping someone does a KH6 rove when Skyline Drive isn't closed by winter conditions. Also, sotamaps.org has some good tools for checking what might be in range for you. My plan B is hope someone launches a HEO [Plan C is a time machine to tell my younger self to work KH6 (and get a card!) while we had AO13 and AO40 or even Arsene!] Yes, it is an obsession!

10. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am waiting to hear of someone going to HI to operate satellites with passes I can make and I will probably be motivated to get my gear out and work them. THEN, I will start chasing the other 49 in earnest. Because I was on for years from my former QTH and had maybe one decent shot at HI and failed. HI is definitely the keystone contact for anyone in the eastern half of the US.

KD2UHD and WD9EWK like this.