Do not put your post your email address on open forums.

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KB3SDS, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB3SDS

KB3SDS Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a few people have been contacted by scammers on here after posting their e-mail addresses. Instead use QRZs PM system. There are crawlers and bots out there that scan forums and craigslist for those who post phone numbers and e-mail addresses to attempt to scam them or add them to advert mailing lists and robo callers.

They cannot see your personal contact info that QRZ uses to contact you, but they can see what ever you post in a field such as the one i am typing in now.

Just and FYI.

2. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Email tip

Best Advice you can use try a disposable email address or an alias i have several of them, also SPAMBOTS will look everywhere.

tip : lets do one as an example

John Doe can be done as johndoe@johndoe.net or convert it as

johndoe at johndoe dot net

can you see the difference? its all about the software reconising a true email address versus not able to read one.

also spambots will eat up false addresses and I'll list them as bait....

nospam@nospam.org nospam@nospam.net nospam@nospam.com

nospam@spamfordinner.xxx ilovespam@ilovespam.com ihatespam@ihatespam.com spamstinks@spamstinks.com spamspam@spamspam.com spamspam@spamspam.net

there is sites that actually feed garbage into spambots and these bots has to be on occasion clear junk like that out.

more fun per mile hadaspamcheckup@getyourspammailchecked.012
    quackyspam@quackyspam.456 :D ROFLOL !

make it enjoyable

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We seem to cover this about every six months or so, and that is a good thing...
    It's always good to remind folks that it's easy to pick up personal information from the net.

My favorite method to use for safe passing of an email address is;
    My Call sign At (your isp domain or hotmail / yahoo / gmail here)

I can be reached at my callsign at cox dot net.

This maybe better than using a graphic with your email address in it.

The bottom line is always be careful; have a separate email address for your personal business, and one for your hobbies.

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Who are the Fukushima Fifty?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. AA0CW

AA0CW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those guys in that nuke plant in Japan trying to cool it down.

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly;
    They have opted for a death sentence in order that others may life.
    Not a very pretty death ether.

7. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I have one email address set aside for use with eBay, Paypal and Craigslist so any SPAM can go there because I don't care. I never use my private email addresses for when selling, signing up for a messageboard, etc. So instead of getting spammed on all emails I only really get it on the one I set up just for that purpose.

8. WQ6X

WQ6X Ham Member QRZ Page

My web host allows me to create an infinite number of special e-male addresses.
    So, for buying/selling things online I have unique addresses.
    Then, if they get spammed, I simply delete the address and make a new one.

Ron
    WQ6X

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.