Do not buy anything from AndrewKE5KOF@gmail.com

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KE5KOF, Oct 29, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE5KOF

KE5KOF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, Some one is using my first name and call to scam people on Swapmeet. If you see someone with this email trying to sell stuff, please report the posting to QRZ. QRZ should change their policy and only allow members to sell stuff.

Thank you

2. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ already requires that for sale ads can only be posted on members' accounts. They should consider changing their policy to require everyone to post their public email on their callsign page so this kind of problem stops. You should post your email on your callsign page. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    KA2FIR likes this.
  3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Post this to your bio page.
    warning_message.jpg

KJ4VTH likes this.
  4. W6LDX

W6LDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is what happened to me by a person using Andrew's name and call sign:
    I put a want ad in QRZ for a radio.
    I was contacted by email by a person using Andrew's name and call.
    The email was: andrewke5kof@_____ (left out for security)
    The person had taken the pictures and description of the radio from eBay and used them
    to sell a radio to me at a fair price. I fell for it and PayPal'd the payment and that was that.
    I never received a tracking number from the seller or any further communication.

I started looking around and found the same radio with the same serial number and identical pictures on eBay.
    The thing missing was a CALL SIGN in a photo.

This person is obviously familiar with QRZ and is probably a ham as well who scams people's
    want ads and uses another ham's name and call sign who has not posted an email address on his QRZ page
    to pull off the scam. I sent a letter to the real Andrew, KE5KOF to advise him that his name and call were being
    used for illegal transactions online.

There is in all probability, nothing that QRZ can do about this type of scam. But if contacted by anyone via
    email and not through the QRZ Swapmeet, beware and do some investigating before sending any money.

1. Ask for serial number.
    2. Ask for additional photos.
    3. Check to see if the person is a ham and has an email posted on QRZ and make contact.
    4. Make sure that there is a call sign in the picture.
    5. Do not send half funds to one PayPal account and the other half to another PayPal account.
    6. IF there is no call sign in the photos, don't buy it.

Maybe a moderator has more information to offer on how to protect yourself from scammers.
    QRZ has done a very good job of overseeing and directing users on the QRZ Swapmeet.
    So read the rules and go by them both on sales and purchases.

It is so sad that people are using other Amateurs' information to scam us, but that is very prevalent in today's
    society; so check everything as many times as it takes for you to be comfortable with the transaction.
    Good Luck & 73,

Thomas Davis - W6LDX

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure they are familiar with QRZ, they've been 'mining' it for years but I highly doubt that they are hams.

No, they are part of a ring of professional criminals, not likely in the US. They go anywhere on the internet that they can scam people.

6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

What you can do when you post a wanted ad is to NOT post your contact info in the ad. It's important to realize (and not everyone does) that the QRZ classifieds are fully viewable to anyone on the internet, not just logged-in QRZ members.
    Post your ad and request that contact be made either through a QRZ private message or the email listed on your QRZ profile page (your QRZ listed email is only visible to logged-in members, others can see your page but not full details including email). Doing this will eliminate the opportunity for scammers not logged into QRZ to contact you.

KA2FIR and KP4SX like this.
  7. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you for real?

Still no disclaimer or published email address.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thought WTB ads were banned for this very reason.

9. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

They're not banned, there's supposed to be a $250 limit although that is not so easy to enforce. I don't think it's a problem as long as people don't publicly post their contact info as I mentioned previously.