Do I have to submit log to have others get credit in a contest?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0JKT, Jul 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

It wasn't that clear to me. I read the rules of some of the main contests, but they are written for participants (obviously...). What non-participants should do is not in the rules...

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you work people you are a participant!
    Usually this penalty stuff is covered in the scoring or disqualification part of the rules.
    But it varies!

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

No one is ever REQUIRED to send in a log. However, if you made very few contacts during a contest, (say, less that a dozen) your contact MAY be disqualified as a point for others as a "missed" or mistaken call. If you send in a log even with a few contacts, it does give a bit of legitimacy to the contacts claimed by others.

4. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

One can argue that. My feeling is more that a "participant" to a contest is somebody who is trying to be scored and that requires sending a log.

And, quite frankly, this is not for me. Being outside the trailing bottom of a contestant list requires far more time and effort that I am willing to invest. I don't have the patience, perseverance or inclination to call "CQ contests" for hours and I am also not willing to set up a computer to automate the process of managing and uploading hundreds of QSOs. I have tried, found out that I lose patience and interest after a dozen of QSOs at most and will simply leave it to others to be contestants. Fortunately, ham radio is a vast hobby and there is a little of something for anyone.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, that's fine. You are free to not participate.

6. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I upload mine to LOTW, but do not submit logs directly. Is that good enough?

7. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

You got an email from the Russia DX contest.

8. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Good enough" for what?
    It's not good enough to "enter" the contest --- so that your score will appear in the results.
    But as I posted earlier, there's no requirement for you to submit a log, and --for most contests-- the stations that you work will get credit for the contact even if you don't submit a log.
    That said, uploading to LoTW is appreciated whether you send in a contest log or not.
    One of the stations that you work in a contest just MIGHT need your contact for an award.
    ;)

9. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's good enough for you to get a confirmation if the other guy uploads to LoTW. It won't help the contest sponsors though. Here are my thoughts: If you work a station who is contesting, you should endeavor to work several more stations in the same contest. Contest administrators dislike UNIQUE call signs. Now some of the fault lies with the other operator who cajoles you into giving them a contact. Example: you answer a CQ not knowing anything about contesting, you give the guy a signal report, and he cues you into turning the casual contact into a contact that he can log for the contest. eg. "Am I your first contact in the contest?", you answer yes, "Then I would be your contact #001", thanks for the QSO, QRZ?". . . This is often how uniques happen, and I hear it in almost every contest. The onus shouldn't be on the non-contester to have to upload a log. Working a few more stations if possible should be good enough. Apparently this isn't always so.

10. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good enough so that the contacts could be confirmed without interaction from me. IE: Russian DX organizer could see that my casual contact with you, contest participant, was legit without me, casual operator, having to learn how to submit a log etc.......