ad: elecraft

Do I have to submit log to have others get credit in a contest?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0JKT, Jul 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

QSO Points are multiplied by 2X if you work a low power station and 4X for working a QRP station. This is done based upon received logs and is computed automatically during the log checking process.

The Stew Perry contest awards bonus points for contacts with low power or QRP stations, but only if logs are received by the sponsor.

https://www.kkn.net/stew/stew_rules.html

W9JEF likes this.
  2. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W1VT- I was hardly good for extra points QRP! Was using 5/5/5 stack @ 175/125/70' overlooking the Atlantic with a Flex 6600 into 1KW Amp

KV5J likes this.
  3. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 160 CW 'tests are a habit of mine. Sometimes I work QSO parties, and make a few contacts, but send no log. Some years ago, I got an email from the Texas party, in which I had made scores of Q's, so I honored the request for a log. Seemed like the right thing to do. :cool:

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

4. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

I always thought so, but the participants in this thread think otherwise. Now I am confused.

If the logs are not checked by comparing the entries from both ends, what is the purpose of exchanging numbers?

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago, I got a nice e-mail from a guy in LZ-land asking me to send in the log for a contest called the LZ Open, so that the handful of contacts I worked would get credit.

It's been quite a while, but I think he said that it was OK if it wasn't formatted properly, and he could take care of it for me.

So it's unusual, but not unheard of.

6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The logs that are submitted are checked against each other.
    And that comparison can determine whether contacts for which there's no submitted log are valid.

For example...
    Let's say that you make five contacts --- but don't submit a log.
    Your call sign (the contacts you made) will appear in five of the logs that have been submitted.
    If the contest exchange includes something that's "static" -- such as your DXCC entity or CQ or ITU Zone-- it should appear the same in all five of those logs.
    And if the contest exchange includes a serial number, those submitted logs should include serial numbers for you that make sense incrementally based on the times of the QSOs ... that is serial number 2 should appear in a log that shows a time that's later than the log in which your serial number 1 appears, etc.
    No need to see a log from you.
    ;)

KC1NY and W0JKT like this.
  7. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

OK. This makes sense, bu is not what I had understood. I had understood that, should I answer in a contest but not send a log, the QSOs would be invalid. I actually avoided answering to contests for that reason.

8. KS2G

As I and others have posted, in most (nearly all) contests, you do not have to submit a log for your contacts to be valid.
    In major contests, top-scoring stations will log --and get credit for-- dozens, if not hundreds, of contacts with stations that do not submit a log.

I'm far from such a "Big Gun" but I often will announce "You don't have to be in the contest to give me a point" and get credit for lots of contacts with stations that don't submit a log.
    ;)

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Rules for most contests will explain their individual policy.
    So the answer is "some do, some don't.

N5XH likes this.
  10. KS2G

Actually, is "some do, most don't."
    ;)

W0IS likes this.