Do I have to submit log to have others get credit in a contest?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0JKT, Jul 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I received an email from a Russian contest manager saying that from a recent Russian contest I had shown up a huge 3 times in logs. Yes, I worked them but I do casual contesting for fun and never submit logs.

I can probably pull the contacts out of many in F3FJP in the time period on SSB on probably 20m. But do I really have to submit in order for the measly 3 contacts to get credit for working me?

2. NB3R

NB3R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a couple of Russian contests that require log matching to score a QSO.

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps they want to determine if 3 people faked qso with you. Kind of like a check log.

Don't be that guy. Be a sport and help your fellow amateur.

VK6APZ, PU2OZT and KP4SX like this.
  4. W0JKT

Ok I will :) Be unlikely for 3 Russians to fake a contact with me and in the short time period I was working with them.

WZ7U likes this.
  5. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't say there aren't any contest that require log submissions for the other station to get credit for a contact with you, but I'm not aware of any. But all contest managers want you to submit a log, even for only a few contacts. The competition level in just about all major contests is very high. The difference between first place and second place can be just a few points. A difference that can happen with just a few busted calls. So using your log with only a few contacts, together with a few others of the same size can make a difference in contest outcomes for those who could be the winners.

Please make an effort to submit a log in every contest you make contacts in. It's can make a difference for the top contenders.

VK6APZ, PY2RAF, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like perhaps you do in THIS particular contest ... and perhaps in some others.

But in MOST contests --particularly the "major" contests-- you do not have to submit a log for the station(s) that you work to get credit.

However, if you don't intend to submit a log it is wise to work more than only one or two (in this case three) contacts so that log-checking finds you in enough logs to show that your call sign is not "unique" as a result of another, similar, call sign being copied incorrectly ("busted").

;)

W9JEF, PU2OZT, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  7. W0JKT

Found I worked 4 - one was in Germany working the contest since non-RU could participate with non-RU. Learned to convert .aidf to Cabrillo... at least think it did right since never done before. All contacts were made within about 30 minutes near the end of the contest and I gave #01 to 04. For one of the contesters, I was #1557 from Slovenia.

I was in hunt and pounce mode. Using the remote I used am sometimes told I am the strongest from the US into Europe which is fun :)

We are way beyond the deadline to submit logs but rules say late logs accepted but not for awards. I should look quite legitimate in others logs but got the email a few days ago wanting my info - so sent!

Thanks for all the great comments.

WZ7U and KP4SX like this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it depends... I like to do casual contesting at times also. I was surprised to hear that a contest "manager" would take the time to even ask a casual participant to submit the log. Good that you took the time to do so. It might have made a difference to someone...

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its automated!

10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Do I have to?

No