DMR to Echolink gateway

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KN4AQG, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4AQG

KN4AQG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All,

I am considering to get a dmr radio and hotspot. I was just wondering if there was a dmr to echolink gateway out there.

73's,
    Warren
    KN4AQG

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can make one. Linux is your friend.

I recommend the RPi3 Model B.

They work great for Allstar too.

Have Fun.

3. AH6LE

AH6LE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not aware of any opensource analog/dmr bridge.....

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are some DMR repeaters with Echolink. There are some potential issues - an incoming transmission from Echolink to DMR has no way of knowing if the time slot is clear. The author of Echolink has a rule that Echolink is not to be linked to any other VoIP radio network. It's also got another potential problem - if you have Echolink on your DMR repeater, and then use it to link to something else that is also on DMR, you can cause a huge feedback loop that ties up the talk group(s) involved and all the repeaters and users attached thereto. This happens with some frequency on Brandmeister and also on the D-star Reflectors - last time I tried to listen to D-star Reflect 01C, someone did this. I moved over to Ref 30C, and eventually, the same thing happened there.

So, I would advise you to follow the rules Echolink has put in place.

Wireless Holdings has a product in development that should help to eliminate the feedback loop issue. It will allow repeater owners to have a DMR, D-star, FUSION, and analog repeater in the same rack, and link them all to each other.