DMR, now what?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3KIC, Apr 18, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

OK. So I decided to get a DMR radio and see what all the "noise" is about. I have local repeaters. Not much going on. What are active, interesting talk groups I should explore?

2. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

TG 91 is a worldwide TG, you can start there.

3. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What local repeaters do you have? Do you know what talk groups are available on your local repeaters?

It looks like you are in eastern PA. If your local repeaters are on the Brandmeister system, TriState (NY-NJ-PA) is on TG 31360.

4. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of activity on the TGIF Network. http://tgif.network/

The namesake TG TGIF 31665 is very busy.

What brand/model of DMR radio did you purchase?

5. K3KIC

Anytone D878. I've got a PiStar hotspot coming later this week.

Have to check out the TGIF talkgroups.

6. K3KIC

There are a number of repeaters in the area. still working to figure out how well I hit them.

7. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good choice in the 878. I love mine. Battery life is amazing, solid physical construction and the programming software is very easy to deal with. There are many Youtube videos and pages out there explaining programming and configuring the 868/878 models. I also own two (2) of the new 578 models. (One for my vehicle, one for the YL) They are built like little tanks.

Can't speak to any of the hotspots. I have three repeaters within range that carry the talk groups I'm interested in.