ad: wmr-1

DMR lovers, explain yourself

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC4FA, Dec 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N4JAP

N4JAP Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the digital voice traffic, including DMR, is being routed through hotspots. Yes, repeaters are passing along traffic, but most everyone is using a hotspot with an HT to communicate. This provides an inexpensive, very portable and easy way to communicate around the world. It's where VHF and UHF is going in the ham world, because maintaining and being able to afford repeater and tower sites has become expensive and difficult. You have access to wherever you want, when you want and you don't need a local repeater to do it. DMR, along with C4FM (Fusion) and DStar, is re-igniting VHF/UHF usage by hams.

KD8DVR and W4WVW like this.
  2. VA7LBA

VA7LBA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both a Yaesu F70DR(C4FM) and a Retevis RT3S(DMR) HT. I prefer DMR over Fusion because it's easier to program and there are more DMR repeaters and DMR radios in my area. I can use either with my hotspot but the sound quality is better on the DMR. I appreciate that the callsign etc is automatically transmitted in C4FM but downloading the DMR contact database into my Retevis was not a big deal. Lastly, most inexpensive DMR HTs use Kenwood plugs which is a big deal. Finding compatible Yaesu accessories has been a pita.

AG5DB likes this.
  3. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely is ham radio. It's used on the amateur bands and users must give their call sign per regulations, just like any other band.

4. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I just ordered a FT-7250DR. It will serve as my "normal" FM 2m/70cm rig as well as provide a means to try C4FM. Just a hair under $200 from HRO.

5. KC4FA

KC4FA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Follow up on my experiences with DMR. I have worked hard to like DMR, but it’s not what I expected. I use an Openspot 2 from my HT CS-580. First it is to complicated. No local DMR repeaters in my HT reception area and very little traffic on the Brandmiester TG’s suggested to me from other helpful hams on QRZ. The system is great for Motorola and Chinese government agency’s and Enterprise business, not for Hams. Seven digit Numbers and three second drop out after transmissions. It feels like my car is stalling at the traffic light. DMR needs a lot of work and acceptance by the Ham community to establish itself. Before I get a lot of hurt feeling responses, please understand this is one person’s opinion. My hats of to all the DMR Hams, but is not for me.

73’s. Gene KC4FA

KB8BMY likes this.
  6. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dumb question alert...

Is a simplex DMR contact possible? Or is it necessarily through a repeater/gateway/??

I am lost on the digital FM voice vs analog vs DMR. I have a DStar rig and never use that feature, but I *think* I can just switch over to DV mode and call someone on DV mode if they also have it, without going through a gateway. A long time ago I got a local 70cm DStar repeater on my 7100 working and it was a lot of menus to get it right.

I'm debating whether to get a digital VHF/UHF rig in the future since many of the newly licensed hams here rave about it.

For contesting I could possibly work them on a digital rig, but only if direct RF and no repeater, internet linking, etc. But I am lost if DMR can be used 'simplex'.

7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

KD8DVR, K3RW and AI7PM like this.
  8. KC4FA

KC4FA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have given up on DMR. Tired of beating my brains out trying to make it work. Dstar and C4fM are light years ahead for ham radio use.
    kC4FA. Gene

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Contesting with DMR would pose some serious challenges. Even on simplex, the are quite a few settings that must be perfectly matched between two transceivers before a contact can be made.

With C4FM or D-Star, it would be very similar to using any other other mode; all you need match is the frequency.

Basically, DMR can good for simplex when you plan it.

K3RW likes this.
  10. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Simplex on DMR is awesome. I made a random 120 mile contact recently from my base station in san diego to a guy in Los Angeles. Both of us were running around 20 watts on 441.000 TG 99, TS 1, CC1. I regularly call out on 446.075, and 441. So if you're in the SoCal area, and like crystal clear simplex on UHF, without the internet, maybe try monitoring the DMR simplex calling frequencies, throwing out your call, and seeing what happens.

KN4MPC and AI7PM like this.