DMR lovers, explain yourself

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC4FA, Dec 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC4FA

KC4FA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have DMR, Dstar and C4FM Ht’s into a a OpenSpot 2. DMR lovers please explain your joy with DMR. Yes, DMR is inexpensive. DMR radio is an Enterprise format. Not Ham Radio. DMR is very complicated. A seven digit identification, no Ham Call signs. My analogy, it’s like putting a saddle on a cow and calling it a horse.

K5VZD likes this.
  2. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

You are a cowboy but not a ham?

73, Peter - HB9PJT

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

DMR radios are very inexpensive, DMR repeaters are quite inexpensive, and the internet linking is provided right in the repeater itself. It makes a pretty easy setup, once you know what you are doing.

DMR repeaters also off two timeslots, so it is like having two repeaters for the price of one. Two simultaneous QSOs can happen on each repeater.

4. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been thinking lately of getting into DMR, P-25 or some other digital mode and doing away with the 420 linking that has always been a thorn in my side.
    And I guess I'm jealous of all the fun these guys seem to be having.

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not a DMR lover, but as a regular user of four different digital voice modes, I am quite curious about this as well.

One possibility that hasn't already been mentioned is audio. I do not mean the audio quality of the DMR standard, but rather the audio from the HTs themselves. Anytone, Ailunce, Retevis, and TYT all sell radios with substantial speakers that can comfortably handle audio orders of magnitude louder than anything sold by Icom, Yaesu, or Kenwood. Amoungst the big three, Yaesu's HTs are the worst. It is almost impossible to have a QSO in an urban environment with any of their current HTs.

Another possibility that has nothing to do with the standard but with the radios themselves is battery life. My Ailunce and Anytone radios are capable of days worth of active use, and weeks worth of receiving. The HT that seems to come the closest to the Chinese stuff in this regard is the Icom ID-51A+2--if you have the larger battery.

K8HIT likes this.
  6. W4WVW

W4WVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm on the fence about whether or not to get into DMR. The technology seems pretty neat but it just seems to be more internet than radio.

K3RW and KY1K like this.
  7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Always interesting when people come onto the internet to talk about how they don't want a product that uses the internet. :)

KG4WRQ and W5NDC like this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Because it's there, and it's cheap. Hams are cheap.

But, if you want to really get into a ham version of digital radio, try https://m17project.org/

You'll be happy to know that DMR has nothing to do with the Internet. It's IP based, and so is the Internet, so it's pretty easy to use the Internet if desired, but not required. We have a linked system here in Colorado that is all on private backhaul links.

9. W4WVW

You'll be happy to know that DMR has nothing to do with the Internet. It's IP based, and so is the Internet, so it's pretty easy to use the Internet if desired, but not required. We have a linked system here in Colorado that is all on private backhaul links.[/QUOTE]

So if you are using DMR to talk to a worldwide talkgroup how is the signal propagated? Your statement that DMR has nothing to do with the internet confuses me.

10. W4WVW

From Miklor:

"There are two main pieces of equipment used to access the DMR network. One is a repeater which is normally located at a high elevation with wide area coverage. The repeater is then linked to an
    internet connection allowing it to access a DMR network."