ad: wmr-1

DMR licence or not

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by K5BOU, Apr 22, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5BOU

K5BOU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I find some articles on the web saying: you don't need ham radio license to operate DMR mode since is via the internet and not air wawes. Thought?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, there are some 'services' that are ham (not HAM) radio oriented where you can communicate via an interface on a cellfone or computer and not use a radio at all. The graphic user interface (GUI) is made to look like a radio.
    Clearly you don't need an FCC license to do that but the promoters of such programs may require that you be a licensed ham because that is the community they market to.

KO4ESA, AA5BK, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Needs a license for ham DMR because its not all contained on the internet. There are linked repeaters and such where all traffic over DMR/Bransmiester can eventually be transmitted over the air. Things like Zello where its all contained on the interwebs does not require a license.

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) as the name implies uses radio for communications. Repeaters may be linked via the internet, but it is basically an over the air radio system.

So, you do need a license to use it. It was designed for land mobile use, so if you have a business and an LMR license you don't need a ham license. For use on the ham bands you do need an amateur radio license, of course.

If you have any links to those articles, please post them so we can figure out what they are talking about.

KO4ESA and WE4B like this.
  5. N3CLA

N3CLA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I could see there not being a need for a license if it is strictly Internet-based (neither the TG nor the endpoints have any way of hitting a radio transmitter). For example there could be a private call or a TG that is Internet-only between two stations using Dudestar (computer app that replaces the radio). But then I would ask - why given there are already a bunch of other VOIP apps.

But if there is any chance it would "leak" out to the ham bands, one would need the license.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If it doesn't get into the amateur bands, it's basically none of our business. Even if someone setup an internet-only DMR network (O, but why?) and someone decided to link it to transmit on a amateur band, the FCC would take issue with the individual who did the linking; not on all of the other users who were told they were using an internet-only network.

A variant of DMR is used in Europe in a license-by-rule service similar to FRS in the US. Digital on FRS is illegal though.

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. DL2JML

DL2JML Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose that you are referring to PMR446. It allows several digital standards, one of which is standard DMR. But the service does not allow any kind of repeater, so it cannot be linked to the Internet.

KO4ESA and W4EAE like this.
  8. KJ7OTM

KJ7OTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you definitely have to have at least a Tech license to do it, OP.

That article was wrong, unless pertaining to a country other than USA that may have different laws.

KO4ESA and KD2RHT like this.
  9. KY4GD

KY4GD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I found some articles on the web that say that the world is flat. I am not ready to say that it is, but some folks apparently do believe it.

KO4ESA and KJ7OTM like this.
  10. K5BOU

K5BOU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel in today's world we can't ask any more questions without getting sarcastic answers. I was under the impression ham radio was above this level, but I guess some don't.

KO4ESA likes this.