DMR hotspot

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by 2I0TSH, Jul 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. 2I0TSH

2I0TSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    I am dabbling in the world of DMR but got stuck. I have a pre installed code plug in my hytera hand held. I am trying to use shark openspot as my hotspot but all is not well. I have set up the hotspot but can't get the radio working with it. I have set up my ID etc along with a simplex frequency but don't know what I need to enter for Tx arc groups etc on the programming software. Ian using the UK reflector which from memory is 2342 or something similar which I have a connection to.
    Please some one help
    Scott MI6TSH

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally with a hotspot you set the talkgroup to 9.
    This is covered in the OpenSPOT manual.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I could give you a more detailed suggestion, but our DMR group here has a code plug that works very well with the OpenSPOT. You could download it and use that as a template for the zone and TG information. http://mndmr.net/ The zone they've set up is 'SharkRF'. TG9 (Local9 on the display) is where you hear the responses from the SharRF unit when you change what it's connected to. I haven't played with the Shark much, but I have used it on all three modes. The DMR radio works on DMR and FUSION, and my D-star HT on D-star.

4. 2I0TSH

2I0TSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys for your input and suggestions. I am so close to getting there. I also have a dv4 mini which I use for fusion which is so simple. Everyone told me DMR can be a mystery but what the heck, if you don't give it ago you will never know!
    Will take a look at the link provided kindly and will post on my results.
    Ta

5. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing to bear in mind is that unlike Fusion and DStar which were developed specifically for amateur use, DMR is a commercial format (originally MOTOTRBO) that we "borrowed". Hence it's not as user-friendly and the radios are more difficult to program due to all the various parameters involved. This makes for a steeper learning curve, however there are now plenty of online tutorials and info sites available to help you.