DMR for Emcomm

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

We have the same thing in South Carolina, called SCHeart.

www.scheart.us

Status

2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This looks more like professional bias than anything else.

N3FAA likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can tell you that after Katrina in New Orleans and Jefferson, all digital systems were kaput. Analog was the ruled of the day.

4. KY5U

index.jpeg

5. KY5U

My company used propane fueled generators but found out it was impossible to refuel them. If you've ever evacuated from a hurricane, all the propane trucks are headed out of town with you.

6. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In a "real" emergency, there will be no power, a great need for medically trained persons- generator/solar panel and an HF radio like the KX2 with low power drain. DMR and cellular technology will eventually fail. My mobile hf rig is capable of remote operations with my tested solar/battery setup. Some ready made meals with a shelf life of 20 years, and large water containers.
    Practice using your handhelds in simplex mode. Boaters will have an advantage because they can "get away" from the mayhem.

7. KY5U

Personally, I think ham emcomm does not offer much during disasters. It could.

8. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not much talk here about who we will talk to during an event.

We have a DStar rig at the Sheriff's EOC for passing messages with the local & regional hospitals. A written plan, training, and regular nets. I characterize this as auxcomm, not emcomm.

Sitting at home with my HF rig I have a hard time envisioning how I could help.

Regarding DMR specifically, I think the codeplug is going to hard for some hams to master. The abundance of poor quality radios will prove to be a problem during an event. Build out a system with specific equipment and CPS support, a written plan, training, and practice it could work.

I'm retired LEO, and I'm certain my viewpoint is based on experience.

KG7LEA likes this.
  9. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have water, security, and power. What exactly is a KX2 going to do for me during an event?

10. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

If amateur radio has no place in emergency communications, as many here claim, why is FEMA actively teaching the 20 hour AUXCOMM course to selected hams?