DMR for Emcomm

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is absolutely true. That is why having a plan in place well ahead of time is critical.

NQ1B and KG7LEA like this.
  2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

El Toro PooPoo The statewide "Colorado Connection" analog system is alive and well. It shares some linking with the DMR network, but they are two separate systems.

3. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a friend who is the state network engineer for one of the majors. He told me that every cell has a list of priority numbers. When one of those numbers comes up and the cell is saturated, a lower priority call will automatically be dropped. I don't know how large the list is or who controls it.

K0UO likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just ask anyone who was local during (or rather AFTER) the Northridge event in California.

KG7LEA likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

Ummmm... famous last words. Sure, cell phones and service are 1000% infallible, and NEVER fail. And I have a bridge you might be interested in...:rolleyes:

6. WA9SVD

If a tornado, hurricane, or earthquake wipes OUT a cell tower (or even damages it) backup power doesn't really help a lot...

7. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Kind of tough once you realize a ham has no more purpose or relevant today. Not only are there cell phones which first responders do not use much because they have their own radio system usually P25 which runs circles around ham gear. Get use to it, it is a HOBBY and nothing more. A place to brag about your equipment and tell a ham how old sick and tired you are. Both commercial cel equipment and First Respenders equipment is a lot more reliable with an army of professional technicians to keep it working.

K8HIT likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

No one ever said amateurs should be "first" responders, or even "second" responders. (Maybe not even third.) Just back-up. Cell towers/service CAN go down, and first responder radio systems CAN go down. (NOT very often, but still a possibility.)
    Sad to say, but how many "commercial" and first responder towers and systems were working on 911 in New York?

NQ1B and N3FAA like this.
  9. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Not true.

I
    say amateurs are second responders in my community. My local emergency manager and the police chief says amateurs are second responders. Now the fire chief wants to use amateurs.

NQ1B likes this.
  10. WS4JM

WS4JM Ham Member QRZ Page