DMR for Emcomm

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

On the high plains and up in the high 14,000 ft mountains you better have VHF UHF and HF equipment of all kinds.
    So be a good Boy scout and be prepared
    K0UO_Jeep_and_Trailer.jpg K0UO_on_Radical_Hill_Colo.jpg

KB1MCT and N0TZU like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice rig!

4. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

After Loma Prieta, the San Francisco Fire Department began organizing Neighborhood Emergency Response Teams and hams to link fire stations and neighborhood groups so they saw comms as something to provide for. NERT became CERT.

One question that will arise in a disaster, assuming cell phones are available, is what is the phone number of the group or official, e.g., shelter or CERT, you are trying to call or text? How do you broadcast information or requests for situation reports?

5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just get on a cell phone and call them silly. Ham radio is not used during emergencies.

6. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hum, I believe the same argument came about with FM and SSB. Look where that got us:eek:

7. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in 2011 a F5 tornado knocked out the main power lines that feed our city. We were without power to the entire city and county for about a week. “Silly” people that tried to use their cell phones soon found out they didn’t work either. As “disasters” go, it was pretty benign, but it did provide a good example for many of us of how dependent we are on technology and the consequences of it breaking down. I wasn’t a ham then, so I really couldn’t speak to the role that ham radio played in the event.

N5WTF likes this.
  8. W0EIB

W0EIB Ham Member QRZ Page

'Better than an amateur radio license is to get medical training. CPR, Stop the Bleed, Trauma. Keep your certifications up-to-date. Carry a med kit' <<<<<
    This is Exactly my point from the very beginning of this topic.
    During a wide spread emergency or disaster, most public safety agencies will rarely recognize amateur radio nowadays. But, they will in most cases recognize a certified; EMR (formerly known as First Responder), EMT, Paramedic or SAR. Why? Because They Need Them NOW in the field as they don't have enough personnel. I see so many ARES Groups in and around the Twin Cities Area of Minnesota that prepare, prepare, prepare, for the Big One. But in 30+ years they've never been activated other than for a; bike, run, walk marathon or a parade. Even then, out of the hundreds signed up for ARES, only 3-7 hams will show up to even assist at those events. But, now you add the First Aid/Medical or SAR Certifications besides the FCC Amateur License, and it add's an entirely new aspect of 'being of value' to many agencies and/or organizations. Do we ask for slaps on the back or kudos? Nope. Could careless... But, it does make the time we spend in the classroom, our skills and knowledge of the subject, to be of some value rather then sitting year after year talking about the day when we might actually be requested, which will probably never come because of the radio communications technology now readily available.

This isn't for everyone, granted. But I do enjoy helping out the community and it's citizens from time to time in my older age.
    And, just for background. In the last two weekends, we've been requested both times to assist at large public events because of not only the Radio Communications, but the Medical Certifications. When's the last time that has occurred with your local ARES Group? It's something to think about..

One other thing to think about... Look at the many rural volunteer fire departments, rescue squads and ambulance services now. What used to be 30-50 volunteers is now down to a handful or two of volunteers, and many are in the their late 50's to 70 years of age. Why, because no one is willing to do those types of jobs anymore for Free and they could could care less about their community. It's all about *them and screw everyone else*. It's truly sad times...

*Medical Training can be found by just doing a Google Search for your local classes. Same with Search & Rescue (SAR).

Good luck :)

AJ6LB likes this.
  9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

DMR is the most complicated of the digital voice modes. The only thing it has going for it is cheap radios. In an emergency situation, DMR would be absolutely useless because of the learning curve. You simply cannot get someone on board quickly. Simplicity is required in an emergency situation.

The code plug gurus would have no problem using DMR. Those who have never heard of a code plug would have extreme problems. The biggest thing I hear talked about on 2 meter FM right now is: "Can someone help me with a code plug for my (cheap) DMR radio?"

Cheap is good in an emergency... especially an extended emergency; complicated is NOT good.

If San Francisco had another big one today, DMR would hurt communications, not help.

KD7MW likes this.
  10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

When cell towers are down, radio towers are also down as is the electrical grid. Simplex works for a while until batteries die. If you have solar you have a far better chance of communicating.