DMR for Emcomm

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. DO1JML

DO1JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently, you seem to associate "DMR" with a system with repeaters connected via the Internet in a global network.

It is not so. DMR works simplex just fine and has the advantage over FM of better spectral efficiency. It also allows for data transfers and the built-in short message system can be quite useful. It allows for encryption, often a requirement in disaster recovery. Last but not least, it allows simple deployment of ad-hoc repeaters. This has led several countries to choose that standard for their civilian operations.

KA4FOX and AI7PM like this.
  2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

We aren't allowed to use encryption on the amateur bands.

NL7W, KA4DPO and (deleted member) like this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just wondering, is Skywarn still a thing? We had tornado warnings up in Maryland, and parts of Northern Virginia the other night, and I did not hear the Skywarn activation on the Bluemont repeater.

4. DO1JML

DO1JML Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I know this. I was talking about disaster recovery and use of radios by official services, the people who will be the official first responders in times of disaster. They use DMR in several countries and they use encryption.

I understand that the question was about use of DMR by hams in the context of disaster. I pointed out that civilian operations already use DMR in that context. If it works for them, it will also work for hams.

AI7PM likes this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Same thing in Milwaukee, WI...

But, there is an ARES talk-group programmed on the 800 MHz public safety digital trunking system I manage. In the last four years, it's never been used. Good reason for that... the City doesn't have trunked radios issued to local hams.

BTW, I wouldn't issue them to local hams either! :cool:

AI7PM likes this.
  6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Without going into cellular site and cellular network design, to include IP networking nitty-gritty, you'll find SMS messages making their way through heavily congested cellular networks when voice calls will not. There are multiple reasons why this happens.

Live in a big city prone to devastation, then remember this juicy tidbit. This coming from a former 2G, 3G and 4G cellular engineer and current top-20 city public safety communications manager.

BTW, the Loma Prieta quake was a LONG TIME ago -- over 30 years! The sheer increase in the number of cell sites covering that particular area of Los Angeles and LA at-large -- ranging from 2G to 5G and from femtocell to macrocell in coverage area, covering numerous bands across the spectrum -- has greatly enhanced multiple carrier networks' reliability and resilience.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    KN4SKF likes this.
  7. KK4GGL

KK4GGL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No ARES? No RACES?

8. KK4GGL

KK4GGL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might want to tell that to every state and county that does that very thing across the country.

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are spot on. Amateurs can provide some help, same as other volunteers, but to rely on amateur radio operators for emergency communications is ridiculous. Part 90 communications systems are far less expensive than in the past, and they are far more robust than any amateur system.

If a county is so poor that they have to rely on amateur radio, all they need to do is petition the state government for the necessary funds to get a 21st century emergency system. It's just not that difficult, and very affordable on a State budget. Even cell systems are hardened these days, and the standard argument that "people jam the system" is weak. Modern cellular systems have embedded emergency bandwidth built in, that only authorized users can access.

10. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DMR = Dilettante Money Rathole