DMR for Emcomm

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG7LEA

KG7LEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am interested in how groups are including DMR in their planning for disaster assistance. I know groups are including DMR in their regular nets, but how exactly is this mode to be used? It does not seem like this mode is useful for ham-to-ham work since we have analog repeaters and simplex. Why would a volunteer need to speak to another volunteer two counties away during a disaster?

On the other hand, DMR talk groups could be a good way for EOCs to connect to each other.

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Or they could just call each other on the phone.

KB0RTQ, W5TTW and N3AB like this.
  3. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wanna know how I can tell you’ve never been through a major earthquake?

OP, I would think DMR would be too limiting in such a situation. Requires DMR capable radios and a shared code plug to be useful – that creates an unnecessary limit. In an emergency I think analog would still rule the day.

VE3FI, WA8FOZ, N1VAU and 5 others like this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

How can you tell? Do cell phones not work during earthquakes?

W5TTW and N3AB like this.
  5. AJ6LB

They are very unreliable as there are millions of people suddenly using them at the same time. And these days with small cell sites on light poles and utility lines, many of them don't have extended battery backup. In an odd way, things were a little better with analog cellular service since coverage areas per site were wider. But there was still a capacity issue.

KG7LEA likes this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the multitude of AT&T First Net commercials which inundate TV in the evenings, the AT&T network will continue to function and have unlimited bandwidth for public service officials which is what this thread is about. Are you saying that AT&T is misleading the public?

7. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

More than 10 years ago they were talking about Priority Cell Phones for First Responders. Prior to that, what AJ6LB described was a real problem, where everyone would whip out their phones, overload the site etc.

8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is based on the assumption the internet is still working during a disaster.

KB0RTQ, KG7LEA, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Some ham DMR networks link repeaters using the internet. Some use their own microwave links and are independent of the internet, like the RMHAM network here.

10. AJ6LB

Here's the problem from my perspective and from what the Bay Area experienced in the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989....

Communication isn’t necessarily the issue. When people are crushed by a collapsed freeway, paramedics are not coming to help you with your broken leg. They aren’t. We had Em Comm people in place at fire stations across the area, but there weren't enough first responders to help everyone.

Better than an amateur radio license is to get medical training. CPR, Stop the Bleed, Trauma. Keep your certifications up-to-date. Carry a med kit with you everywhere. Know how to use a firearm. These are essential skills in an emergency. Having a radio is good but not essential.

W5TTP, NL7W, KB0RTQ and 4 others like this.