DMR exitement seems to be withering down

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC4FA, Oct 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC4FA

KC4FA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Recently, I have noticed little DMR activity on TAC 301. 302 and 303. I am using an Openspot 2. The more established Dstar Reflectors seem more in tune with Ham operation. I would like to hear from other Hams about other interesting DMR activity.

Thank You,
    Gene KC4FA

2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother gifted me a ZUMspot and a TYT MD-380 handheld last month. I had no prior experience with any digital voice modes, yet I got the hotspot working on Yaesu Fusion within minutes using my FT2DR. On the other hand, I gave up on getting the TYT and DMR working after a week of trying. I’ll try again someday. Meanwhile, the Fusion/C4FM system has made this old “CW Forever” curmudgeon a believer in the power and usefulness of digital amateur radio, and I plan to move up to a real WIRES-X connection soon.

K2CQW likes this.
  3. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our club went in big into DMR several years ago, adding a repeater to our system and ordering a batch of CS700s. After an initial wave of enthusiasm, use tapered off. Some folks continue to use it a lot and there are section nets and the like. Other folks seemed to find it complicated and difficult to access, or just not as much fun as other things. I think it’s cool but do not use it very often. YMMV.

K0UO likes this.
  4. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Our club techie got a massive hard on for dmr, neglecting setting up our wires-x node (now in my garage). Getting the right buttplug for your Cowdung 659? Phoney. It took me 3 hours to set up our node.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    AA4MY, K0UO and WW2PT like this.
  5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Been there, done that. DMR is passe, I hear CW will be the next big fad.

6. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, CW is seeing a bit of a resurgence.

Once the fad of anything wears off, it will be relegated to a population of people that believe it is useful and actually use it for something. The "I'm doing this because it is so coool" crowd will dissipate like steam.

7. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While active on DMR, I thought the concept was great. I could sit in my backyard with my HT and talk around the world. Then the guys came in that would talk 10 minutes at a time, and then the other guy would jump right in, without stopping to see if there was anyone else who wanted to join in. Needless to say, I lost interest rather quickly.

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

DMR is could not be better designed for commercial application. It is the perfect radio to program 100 of them, hand them out, and say, 'you guys use channel 1, you other guys use channel 2,' etc.

It is also good for repeaters owners because they have total control over what is available on their repeater.

For amateur radio and the ways in which many people operate, its not so great.

I distill the rise of DMR down to two major factors: 1) the cost of the radios 2) the cost and durability of repeaters.

Both Yaesu's closed system and D-Star are much, much easier to use. D-Star is a little more complicated, but it is also massively more capable.

9. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be direct. I hate repeaters. And radios intended to use a repeater are a waste of $$ for what I intended to get out of the hobby.

I have Motorola portable & mobile radios. Intended to use the portable for local use ... sort of did. Mostly used the mobile while driving local and cross country. I even have BlueTooth headset so I'm legal. Local DMR activity was very high but it has dropped off.

Cross country was always a very low activity & PITA. And, that is a radio that will automatically change repeaters based on RF strength == don't need to look at the radio while driving to keep the QSO live. The problem is, there is no one talking in the first place. Big disappointment & wish I had never bought anything for a repeater.

But, some locales are fighting over rptr freq coordination and makes no sense does it?

10. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Well guys looking at the number of post replies, I would say the original question has been answered!!!!!!!!!

DMR exitement seems to be withering down

K2CQW likes this.