ad: cq2k-1

DIY Portable LiFePO4 Power for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the kindness.
    I did say that, but I meant the entire pack was 10 amp hours. I was tired and didn't catch it on final edit.
    Julian oh8stn

2. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Adding capacity
    This question always comes up in battery builds.
    There is only one single thing required to do when adding capacity. For example, if we want to double the capacity, we add another stack of identical cells in parallel. There's no need for a second BMS. The parallel cells will balance each other, while the BMS will manage cell voltage of each group of cells. The BMS doesn't care how many cells are actually on each balance port, provided they are within the BMS specs.
    I'll write this up in the episode notes in a day or two. I think it may also be a good idea to do a video tutorial dedicated to this topic.

QRO ugrade
    Setting it up for QRO is incredibly simple. We only replace the BMS, for one which is rated at the required amperage.
    I found several different BMS models for qrp to qro. They are listed in the episode notes. In hindsight perhaps I should have just spect the higher amperage rated BMS regardless of qrp or qro.

Julian oh8stn

AK5B likes this.
  3. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

So each cell is indeed 10 amp hr rated. I just looked up the specs. If you connected 4 of these together in series i guess that still keeps it at 10 amp hrs???? Doesnt make it 40 amp hrs?

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, this would be called a 4S2P pack (4-series, 2-parallel). In reality the individual cells would be connected in parallel, then in series, and a cell balancer would keep all of the pairs individually yoked. Rechargeable batteries in series have the same problems as electrolytic capacitors in that they do not always charge or discharge evenly, leading to unequal voltages and states of charge throughout the series string.

For a given series configuration, you have P times the capacity of a single cell. So a 4S2P pack made with 3.2V, 10Ah LiFePO4 cells would be 12.8V (3.2 x 4S), and 20Ah (10Ah x 2P).

I built a pack out of 8 x 3.2V 15Ah flat cells for a total of 30Ah at 12.8V. It's handy.

AK5B, VK2DMH, W1SRR and 1 other person like this.
  6. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cells can be rated in WATT-HOURS. Adding more always adds more watt-hours. How the volts and amps break down depends on how you wire them.

7. WD4EIB

WD4EIB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Julian,Wow very nice job love the video!!
    73,s
    Roy WD4EIB

8. AG6ZZ

AG6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Identical batteries in series => sum volts
    Identical batteries in parallel => sum amps
    Dissimilar batteries in series => not my cup of tea
    Dissimilar batteries in parallel => not my cup of coffee

9. K1ABX

K1ABX Ham Member QRZ Page

There are opinions out there that connecting Li-Ion cells in parallel can cause trouble due to possible differences in internal resistance. Do you know anything about that ?

10. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work! Whats the weight of the total package? Are you saving any weight and if not, does this have other benefits that a commercial battery doesn't have? I'm a big fan as I have watched some of your videos before getting my ticket. Thanks for sharing and Semper Fi!

11. VE3HJL

VE3HJL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Connect the batteries in parallel and you will boost up the amps.

12. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:D

13. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just an addendum to KM4DYX comment - the watt-hour capacity goes up as a function of the number of added cells, so you do get more stored power, but as said previously, the number of amps each cell can supply stays the same. If you want more amp-hour capacity, you'd have to either get larger capacity cells, or parallel smaller cells. Since it is really a pain to try and balance paralleled cells, using larger capacity cells is usually the best way to go.

AK5B likes this.
  14. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

feeling ignored, LOL