ad: CQMM-1

DIY Portable LiFePO4 Power for Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Operators
    Over the past few weeks, I've received lots of positive feedback about my homebrew 10Ah LiFePO4 battery pack. This pack is primarily used man-portable with a PowerFilm F15-1200 thin-film solar panel. The duo powers my 817, laptop/tablet, LED lights, and a few other power-hungry devices used in the field.
    This video tutorial shows the methodology and build of my 10Ah 4S1P lithium iron phosphate battery pack. This pack which is an update of last year's qrp battery pack, is based on Headway 38120 cells. It features internal battery management system, solar charge controller, and can be easily expanded for QRO power levels, or greater capacity.

I don't know if this is the best way to achieve practical, lightweight & portable off-grid power, but it is one way.

Julian oh8stn

IMG_20170917_201249_717.jpg IMG_20170917_191257_687.jpg

AK5B, VU2VIZ, KB5BY and 11 others like this.
  2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done primer on the subject, even for fumble finger hams like me who are restricted to COTS solutions. Come visit at the"QRP Corner" forum sometime; it's a bit sleepy and in need of a jolt like this.

Al

VU2VIZ and OH8STN like this.
  3. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Al, much appreciated.
    I haven't really been all that social since my best buddy of 30 years called it a day a few months back. We met at Camp Lejeune back in the day. When I'm up to it, I'll definitely stop by the forum.
    Always look forward to your likes and comments.
    Julian oh8stn

VU2VIZ and K3RW like this.
  4. K1ABX

K1ABX Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did you shop for all the parts for the build ? I checked the youtube comments, didn't seem like the question was brought up.

Edit: never mind, your notes to the video list everything out. Thanks!

OH8STN likes this.
  5. K7BMG

K7BMG QRZ Lifetime Member #55 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nice Job.
    I like to go the hands on route as well.

OH8STN likes this.
  6. AG6ZZ

AG6ZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks great. Now, try getting that through airport security.

AK5B, VK2DMH, 2E0WYG and 2 others like this.
  7. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job. Well done.

OH8STN likes this.
  8. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best how to videos ive seen on youtube!
    Awesome job and makes me want to build one. Looks like that condor pack was designed for it.

I thought u said mid way in the vid that each cell was 10 amp hrs? Maybe i heard that wrong cuz it sounds like the whole pack is 10 amp hr.

OH8STN likes this.
  9. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

So each cell is indeed 10 amp hr rated. I just looked up the specs. If you connected 4 of these together in series i guess that still keeps it at 10 amp hrs???? Doesnt make it 40 amp hrs?

10. KM4DYX

Nope...the volts add, not the amps.

Al

AK5B, WU8Y, OH8STN and 1 other person like this.
  11. K1ABX

But connecting them in parallel would multiply the amps, right ? So like 8 cells total, two groups of 4 in series, then connected in parallel = 12V, 20A ?

12. KM4DYX

Nope again...TANSTAAFL.

(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

You can choose one, or the other, not both. "Can't have two starches," the mess sergeant used to say.

AK5B likes this.
  13. KM4DYX

AK5B and K1ABX like this.
  14. K1ABX

15. KM4DYX

Yeah, too bad Julian is asleep because his technical expertise is needed! Sure, you can do a combo of series and parallel....my brain wasn't keeping up. My bedtime, too.