ad: k1jek

DIY Hi Power (250W) Battery Desulfator Engine - Overnight results.

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by ANCELB, Jul 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ANCELB

    ANCELB QRZ Member

    Hi all:
    I have an unfolding project to make available as DIY (fully open) a derivative engine from my commercial project which has proven regeneration data to back it up.

    This is not a commercial effort. I mght make PCBs or component 'kits' available sometime down the road as some parts are surface mount and folks might prefer the surface mounted bits preinstalled on the PCB.

    Perhaps I'll 'retro' it for all thru hole parts space permitting on the PCB. Nothing smaller than 0805 parts so they are doable by hand and with a soldering iron.

    Here is my project page: https://hackaday.io/projects/hacker/10957

    I'll add more pics and such soon.
    Note the B4 and After pics of the battery buss bar , and the sulfate removal.
    Also the bottom pic is the full fledged fully automated desulfator with microprocessor, battery sequencing, battery rerating, battery exerciser and Internet monitoring /control.
    cell2-1020sg.jpg cell2-1240sg.jpg 55b24L-10_8Amps.png gatedrive-yellow.png Bosch1.jpg Regen.jpg
     
    KA9JLM likes this.
  2. W8MRL

    W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    What are the risks of doing this? Off gassing? Case rupture? Nothing above normal battery usage risks?

    Thanks,
    Rob
     
  3. ANCELB

    ANCELB QRZ Member

    The user will need to either manually monitor the battery for voltage and temperature as it runs in a simple application as I did in the beginning or develop automated controls for the same for unattended operation.

    For a manual recovery I'd suggest working with wet / hydrocapped batteries which outgass normally as opposed to sealed VRLA batteries. With temperature, current and voltage sensing full automation can be achieved which is fairly safe.

    In the several hundred batteries I have processed I did 'pop' one sealed battery that came to me 'out of the mud' and had its vents choked shut.
     
  4. KA9JLM

    KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

    From my experience,

    For safety this should not be done indoors or unattended.

    Or on sealed batteries, Where it does little good anyway.
     
  5. ANCELB

    ANCELB QRZ Member

    W8MRL:
    Sealed batteries are the ones that regenerate most successfully from my statistics. This is probably due to no user tampering ( adding chemicals (electrolyte) or contaminated water) or running the cells dry.
    I just regenerated a pair of ACDELCO sealed marine use batteries whiche were run FLAT to 1.7V at rest by leaving the boat lights on. They both took about a day.

    Edit: They both failed on both a BatteryMinder and a Schumacher Commercial charger (rejected as bad)
     
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  6. W8MRL

    W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Interesting. Thank you!
     

Share This Page

ad: cq2k-1