ad: wmr-1

Dit dit...?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lamarr?

N2EY likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Dit dit...?

Hey, nice pair of dits!

3. KK4ZYM

KK4ZYM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I considered going to grad school early in my career, but didn't. There may have been a time where a Masters or PhD would have helped, but I think those days have long passed. I think I did well with out it and I have never regretted it. Getting an Extra is different in that there is an immediate tangible benefit (increased privileges). Whether or not it's worth it is up to you. To me it hasn't been worth it yet, but that could change.

WB0MPB likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

N6QIC and KK4ZYM like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

You do know that, allegedly, she actually did sue Mel Brooks? (Or so he claims)

"Just think of your secretary!"

"Splendid!"

6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1959, the Chicago FCC office only gave amateur radio examinations on Friday. There was no Interstate, those days, to Chicago. So, it took about 90-minutes to get from LaPorte, Indiana, to downtown Chicago to the old U.S. Courthouse building and to get to the 8th floor where the FCC offices were located.

Since I was 15 at the time, my father had to take a day of vacation, in October, to drive me to take my General Class examinations. My father had absolutely no interest in amateur radio. However, he did things like help me put up antennas and so forth.

I did learn most things from reading books. However, K9BPV, W9IVZ, and W9VW all lived within a mile of my parent's house. All 3 of them were available to answer questions, etc., so I was not completely in the dark! When I got my Novice Class license, there were a fair number of amateur radio operators living in the city and even more in Michigan City, Indiana, 12-miles away. After getting my General Class license, the local amateur radio club (of which I was one of the founding members) started classes for learning the International Morse code. Within a year, the number of operators, in the city, had almost tripled!

In college, I ended up in a 5-year major which resulted in an equivalent master's degree. This degree was from the Georgia Institute of Technology, better know worldwide as "Georgia Tech". At the time, the 3-top engineering colleges in the United States were MIT, Cal Tech, and Georgia Tech. My first job, after graduating from college, was with the Collins Radio Company, here at the "new" corporate headquarters in Richardson, Texas. My starting level was 2-levels above most college graduates and my pay scale was higher than most of Collins starting salaries. However, I never even mentioned such to my fellow employees!

On 22 November 1968, I lost privileges with the incentive licensing program. I had to take my Advanced Class, and then my Amateur Extra Class examinations here in the Dallas, Texas, area. My Advanced Class examination, taken in early 1969, was administered by the FCC engineer Frank Wanja at the Federal Courthouse in downtown Dallas. Frank was an amateur radio operator and I got to know him better in the following years.

In the early 1970s, the Vintage Radio and Phonograph Society was holding the annual convention and several people wanted to have a working spark transmitter. I knew that Frank had such. I telephoned him at work (the Dallas FCC office) and asked him to come to the convention, bring his spark transmitter, and demonstrate it to those attending the convention. He then said, "You want me, and official of the Federal Communications Commission, to operate a transmitter that has been illegal to operate in the United States since 1939!" I said, "You are damned right about that!" Frank replied, "What time do you want me there?"

Frank came to the convention and operated the transmitter for the last 2-minutes of each hour. His reasoning was that during this time period, the commercial television stations were showing commercials and people would not be all the upset having interference. The spark transmitter "tore up" every television in the hotel and, probably, for quite a distance away from the hotel.

However, with all my experiences, etc., that, and $1.00 plus tax, will get me a small soft drink at Wendy's or MacDonald's! At most restaurants around here, a soft drink runs like $2.69.

Glen, K9STH

W4NNF and AF7XT like this.
  7. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Taking the extra exam

WU8Y likes this.
  8. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY and N6QIC like this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

N6QIC likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a simple question. Nothing wrong with it.

Stop telling others what to do or not do.

First it was "Just be happy with who you are and what you have.". Now it's the above.

What next?

See? There you go - telling others what to do!