Dit dit...?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, got bit by the iPad's spell checker. Didn't catch the incorrect auto-correct in time.

2. W3SY

W3SY Banned QRZ Page

Hard to understand! They're SUFFIX BROTHERS! Suffix brothers are supposed to get along, and have each other's QSLs on the shack wall. Tsk.

NS8N likes this.
  3. W3SY

W3SY Banned QRZ Page

Not to nitpick, but I think it was:

HAW!!

Out.

But you have a prettttty good memory just the same.

4. W3SY

W3SY Banned QRZ Page

That's a pretty cool story, indeed. And even though you're a few years longer in the tooth than me, we're clearly from the same era. I also jumped straight from Novice to Advanced the same day. At the age of 13, my mind was like a vacuum cleaner, and studying a buttload of material was pretty easy.

The one odd/interesting thing that happened the morning of my General and Advanced tests was we have a bomb scare in the Federal Building in Baltimore. This was 1971, and there was plenty pf turmoil around. We all had to take the stairs and evacuate the building for a while. However, as honest hams, nobody discussed the tests!

I took a bit of a vacation from hamming in high school in the mid 70's. When I came back in '77, they had the FREE licensing (no fees!) and FREE upgrade to 2-letter calls for Extras. And if you know anything at all about me, you know the word "FREE" is all ya gotta say! With nothing to lose, I studied up and passed the Extra. I requested a 2-letter call, but didn't specify a choice. Was too lazy to research what calls were available (flipping through the Callbook??), and it's not like we had Google back then. I didn't know my new call until it arrived in the mail. The FCC, in their infinite wisdom, assigned me W3 Strawberry Yogurt. (Or as my old friend K3FT (SK) called me, W3 Screw You.)

So that's cool that we're contemporaries. But the REAL old old old old timers still laugh at US because THEY had to draw diagrams, and we did not.

5. W3SY

W3SY Banned QRZ Page

Was the fire station on fire??

HAW!!!!

6. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

"That's 'Hedley'"!

"It's 1874! You can sue her!"

7. W3SY

W3SY Banned QRZ Page

I came in only a short time after Incentive Licensing was implemented, but I had acquired a huge QST collection and had a chance to read a lot of the chatter from that time period. It was a real "poop storm." A lot of longtime General Class holders swore they'd quit if half their subbands were taken away. Some hams accepted the challenge and upgraded as soon as possible. Others were deeply embittered and wouldn't play along.

And as you mentioned, there was a time when Advanced was as high as you could go until you reached the two year experience requirement.

I do remember the $9 fee. That was a pretty nice chunk of change at one point. When they eliminated exam fees in the mid-70's, well, that was like unlocking the doors to the candy store!

8. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No they were going to a fire.

9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

There is that question again!! (At least it is not to me this time!)
    Don't worry so much about what others do or don't do.
    Why don't you go on to get your masters or PhD or what ever it is you don't have yet??

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

At that time, I had other wants, and the Advanced gave me enough privileges. Now, I have other NEEDS and don't care.

He was born Henry Youngman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Youngman). Ron was right... he just didn't know he was.