Dit dit...?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3SY, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3SY

W3SY Banned QRZ Page

Anybody else here recall when we could start a CW contact by hammering out "dit dididit dit?' The way it worked, of course, is someone else would come back with "dit dit." The station replying to you would then also send "dit dididit dit," to which YOU would reply "dit dit." At this point, the original station might send a callsign: "DE WN3PQM." The responding shave-and-a-haircutter would call you: "WN3PQM DE WN3SOV." From there, the QSO would proceed as usual.

Sometimes, there was some doubt as to whether the original dit dididit ditter and the responding dit ditter were connecting with each other. In that case, shaves and haircuts might be exchanged for a minute or three until it was quite clear that "I responded to you and you acknowledged my response."

Please -- No lectures by any of you killjoys about how, until callsigns are transmitted, this constitutes unidentified transmissions. As Archie Bunker would say, "The statue of libertations has respired on this!"

Advanced CW communicators of the day also discovered you could keep an enjoyable QSO going by shaving and haircutting at the END of a QSO, thusly:

Me: 73 OM HPE CUL SK WN3OEC DE WN3PQM dit dididit dit

Him: dit dit...... dit dididit dit

Me: dit dit... dit dididit dit

Above is the abridged version. This usually went on for 20 or 25 minutes. Those of you who don't work CW have no idea what you're missing.

Well, gotta go. Nice chewin' the ol' rag with ya. See ya.

73 DE W3SY dit dididit dit

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this serious? I've been doing CW for 42 years and have never heard of such a silly practice nor heard it on the air.

The only "dit dit" I ever hear is at the very end of a QSO. Once in a blue moon the "shave and a haircut" version but rarely anymore. Most folks under 50 won't even know what that melody even is :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W, N4UP, WA7PRC and 2 others like this.
  3. W3SY

W3SY Banned QRZ Page

Serious as a heart attack! :) I'm talking about 1970 and '71 when I first got on, which was roughly in your era.

The running joke was:
    CQ -- The general call
    dit dididit dit -- The NOVICE call

If you tuned up and down the 40 meter Novice band at night, you'd hear the dit dits flying back and forth.

Yep, this was actually a thing.

W7UUU likes this.
  4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll do the reverse, and point out that under today's rules, ID is only required every ten minutes and at the end of a communication. There is no legal requirement for ID at the beginning of a QSO, even though that's the way it's usually done. But if two stations spend nine and a half minutes exchanging BENS BEST BEEF ESSENCES and only ID themselves at the end, they've committed no rules infraction.

Of course I'd always recommend exchanging callsigns right up front, the way it's usually done. But I can't find a rule that mandates it.

WU8Y and KD0TLS like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Even by that standard, most CW contests are a nonstop pile of rules breakage. :rolleyes:

73 dit dit

K8PG and K1OIK like this.
  6. NS8N

NS8N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Holy crap! Charlie Chickenbander makes his debut again. Welcome back buddy, how have you been?

W3SY and AD0RX like this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps not to the extreme of 20 minutes though!

Yes, as soon as the kids started getting home from school it would start, around 3 PM or so. The kids that all had xtals in the same general vicinity would tend to have a 'net' every afternoon. We would often try to guess who the dit-ditter was by any distinctive click, chirp, whoop, or whatever, then call them in the normal fashion. We regularly had up to ten, twelve, novices on 'almost' the same frequency.

BENS BEST BENT WIRE

W3SY likes this.
  8. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Personal insults reflect on the sender, not the receiver.

WB0MPB, K4PIH and WA7PRC like this.
  9. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see you are not a History buff, there was no insult. Boy, sensitive much?

NS8N, WZ7U and KK5JY like this.
  10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember it only at the end of a contact.

W3MMM likes this.