Disturbing Behavior on My Part.....

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Jul 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here.

The nearest thing to a SSB rig I've ever had is the little 7-watt Radio Shack 10m transceiver I bought at a close-out sale near the end of the previous sunspot cycle. The main reason I acquired it was for its FM capability, since my 75A-4 sucks at slope detection. It has AM, SSB and FM, but no CW, and appears to be a modified 'export model' CB transceiver. I tried operating 10m FM and it took me about a half dozen QSOs to realise I had absolutely nothing in common with those folks. I could never strike up any kind of conversation with them; it was like they were all from a different planet. The AM function sucks with its space shuttle audio, so why use that thing when I have my modified Eico 720/730 with hi-fi audio? I might have tried 3 or 4 QSOs on slopbucket, and found that to be about as uninteresting as the FM crowd.

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I typoed that one.:(

Should read:

Phil
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
    Besides, when you're a Ham, you experiment with and improve boat anchors - that's what you do!. [​IMG]

3. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

huh-HA!

Even that reference is becoming more and more dated, right?

WZ5Q likes this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most of us didn't notice because we don't know a TS803 from a TS830. No need to sweat it Phil, hi.

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Right. Now, it would be the Soyuz Sound.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

When Im in the mood I fire up the CE-100V, Collins 75A4, and National NCL-2000 prototype; Ive had all since 1964-65. The CE phasing rigs had excellent audio out to around 3300-3500 Hz and also sounded fine on AM. A D-104 is used naturally.
    A Hallicrafters HT-32B, SX-1115, and a real mint NCL-2000 also get in the mix at times. BTW the HT-32 series has excellent AM and SSB audio since the filter passband isnt overly restricted. Another D-104 is far better than a restricted slopbucket mike that most used.

Carl

N6YW likes this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did hear some nice AM yesterday on 14258. Alas I couldn't break in with my 25 watts and a wire...but nice listening.

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

It can sound fine, I have no problem with the mode, just never heard anything interesting on it.
    I know there are vintage nets/groups using cool equipment, I just never heard any.
    Its just rants about the government, amplifiers, and medical issues.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you can modify the HW8 to go on AM !, maybe re tune the VFO range to go to the high end and put a big modulation transformer secondary in series with the supply voltage ! A small PA system amp would have enough output to to to 200 % modulation !

10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

CE100V....now that's a classic.